Software Engineer (Machine Learning) - Advertising Optimization, Seattle
Who We Are:
Twitter’s advertising business went from zero to two billion in revenue faster than any other company had. We built that business on the back of brand advertising and value of ad impressions to our audience. The next phase of our advertising strategy is built on direct response: driving incremental engagements and bottom-of-funnel conversion events to our advertisers. We’re making big investments in the area of performance ads on a platform that is already one of the largest advertising platforms in the world. We’re creating successful products that drive measurable results to advertisers.
What You'll Do:
We are looking for a key individual contributor to drive forward our understanding of consumer behavior. You will build products that surface relevant content to our users that they would not otherwise see, delivering incremental results to our clients. You will experiment, apply data-informed heuristics, predict and model behavior, and build high-quality software at scale.
You will be trusted to make good product decisions, taking products and features from conception to production and thinking about what to do as well as how to do it. You will be encouraged to make contributions to open-source initiatives as you help us build product and enter new markets. Data is at the core of everything we do and we thrive and prosper based on our ability to find insights in our data and apply them to drive revenue from our data products.
Who You Are:
You're someone with a lot of potential who is constantly looking for real engineering challenges to tackle and hard problems to solve. You want to own significant projects while working in small teams of highly-talented, passionate engineers. You hold your teammates accountable to a high level of performance, and are looking for a strong team that will challenge you to grow your own skills. The prospect of getting to work with an open-source tech stack that powers a solution people around the world love to use, and where massive volumes of data are extracted in real time excites you. You want to be mentored by amazing engineers; you want to see continued investment in you by the business; and you expect excellence in everything. You see your future self as a force multiplier (and not just a great technical resource for an employer). You see challenge as opportunity and you're looking to jump ahead of the pack in your career. You're applying to this role because you're hoping for a chance to jump in and see what you can do to make a difference in an iconic software company and the performance ads team would love to speak to you.
The performance ads organization operates with startup and entrepreneurial spirit. We’re combining performance advertising expertise and Twitter’s wealth of data to build game changing advertising products.
- Prediction, Modeling and Bid Strategy: As a member of this team, you will build the models and strategies that power Twitter’s performance advertising products. We predict user engagement with our ads, transactional behavior on a merchant site, ad auction market competition, and more.
- Machine Learning Platform: As a member of the ML platform team, you will build data pipelines and train models ingesting data sources generated by all of Twitter. You’ll experiment with new ways to represent features and train models with improved levels of performance but at lower infrastructure cost. You’ll apply state of the art research to solve problems at a scale only achieved by a handful of companies, but you’ll get to build that infrastructure, not just work on top of it.
- We built our next-generation machine learning platform incorporating Spark and Scala (with an emphasis on extensibility, modularity, and speed) to support our current and future modeling needs
- We built a next generation of our real-time control system, providing us with more fine-grained controls of who to show ads to, and when to do so
- We improved our models that predict click through rate, transactional behavior, and market competitiveness to deliver big wins to retargeting revenue
- Experience with Machine Learning, algorithm analysis, and data modeling
- Experience with full-stack development with a strong focus on implementing simple, elegant solutions (i.e., we don't just model stuff)
- Good understanding of (one or more of the following): Java, Scala, Python, system design, distributed systems, cloud infrastructure, continuous integration
- Ability to thrive in an unstructured and dynamic environment
- Desire to drive real-world impact and not just theoretical improvements (i.e. our models must deliver results in production)
- PhD CS (or related field) strongly desired
- Active contributor / committer to a well-known open source project and/or interest to do so in the future
- Active Kaggle competitor
- Demonstrated ability to excel in whatever you pursue (whether it's work, school, competitions, open source contributions, personal projects, etc.--you've always stood out and succeeded)
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
After you apply, a recruiter may reach out to you for an introductory call.
If your background is a match for the role, you may phone interview with 1-2 people.
If you continue through the process, you will come onsite 1-2 times to interview with a total of 5-10 people.
Twitter Recruiting: All the deets about who we're hiring, what we're doing and why you should come and work here! #lovewhereyouwork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!