Software Engineer (Back End) - Ads Products
Note: Applicants with experience beyond these qualifications may be considered for this role at a more senior level.
Who We Are:
The MAP (Mobile App Promotion) team owns one of the fastest growing revenue streams for all of Twitter. We build the backend Ads products that enable advertisers to efficiently drive installs of their mobile apps and re-engage existing users. The backend systems we’ve built operate at staggering scale: billions of ad auctions per day, hundreds of millions of daily ad impressions, and thousands of advertisers using our platform globally. Combined with Twitter’s unique data assets, a creative suite optimized for Mobile App Promotion, and the ability to track to the app event level, our products truly empower the world’s top mobile companies.
Who You Are:
You're someone with a lot of potential who is constantly looking for real engineering challenges to tackle and hard problems to solve. You want to own significant projects while working in small teams of highly-talented, passionate engineers. The prospect of getting to work with an open-source tech stack that powers a solution people around the world love to use, and where massive volumes of data are extracted in real time excites you. You want to learn from amazing engineers; you want to see continued investment in you by the business; and you expect excellence in everything. You see your future self as a force multiplier (and not just a great technical resource for an employer). You see challenge as opportunity and you're looking to jump ahead of the pack in your career. You're applying to this role because you're hoping for a chance to jump in and see what you can do to make a difference in an iconic software company.
What You’ll Do:
On the MAP team, you will face backend challenges that are high throughput (hundreds of thousands of ad auctions per second), low latency (millisecond ad auction response time), and massive scale (processing terabytes of data). We are agile startup-minded engineers, and our culture emphasizes creative problem solving, celebrating wins, and a community of learning. Our team sizes are small to encourage impactful contributions from each engineer and to promote meaningful collaboration.
- Twitter Audience Platform - this year we shipped a major release to expand the reach of MAP campaigns from 300M users to over 1B users. We accomplished this by building the Twitter Audience Platform (TAP) which allows for MAP campaigns to bid on ad inventory in thousands of publisher apps and websites. Blog post: https://blog.twitter.com/2016/drive-more-scale-for-your-performance-campaigns-with-twitter
- Mobile App Conversion Tracking - in order to track the performance of MAP campaigns we built the Mobile App Conversion Tracking (MACT) pipeline. MACT ingests millions of in-app events (e.g., installs, registrations, purchases) for thousands of MAP advertisers. We use this data to attribute the in-app actions that our campaigns drove and demonstrate the return on ad spend to our advertisers. More info on MACT: https://dev.twitter.com/ads/measurement/mact-overview
- Twitter Audience Platform Expansion - grow the Twitter Audience Platform (TAP) by adding more ad inventory supply in the U.S. and internationally. This introduces major constraints on latency and throughput that we will have to enhance our backend architecture to support.
- World Class Prediction - work closely with Twitter’s data science and machine learning teams to build the industry’s best algorithmic systems to predict / match the right mobile ad to the right mobile user at all times.
- Unified Direct Response Platform - we have the opportunity to be the one-stop shop for direct response / performance ads on both mobile and the web. Imagine showing a user a product ad on their mobile device but they complete the purchase on their laptop. Or vice versa. How do we track this? What is the right channel to engage the user? We want to help brands succeed across all their channels and properties.
- Experience building large-scale distributed systems (Java, Scala, Hadoop, etc.)
- Strong CS fundamentals: algorithms, data structures, design patterns
- Advocate for software engineering best practices (e.g., high test coverage, thorough code reviews, effective design documentation)
- Excellent communication and team collaboration skills
- B.S. or higher in Computer Science (or equivalent work experience)
- A passion for Twitter!
- Prior experience working for a consumer internet company or in online advertising
- Demonstrated ability to excel in whatever you pursue (whether it's work, school, competitions, personal projects, volunteering, etc. -- you've always stood out and succeeded)
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.
Twitter Recruiting: All the deets about who we're hiring, what we're doing and why you should come and work here! #lovewhereyouwork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!