Senior Back-End Engineer (TweetDeck)
Twitter is looking for Software Engineers to join the ongoing development of TweetDeck, our most powerful tool for real-time tracking, organisation and engagement used by industry professionals worldwide.
Who we are:
Twitter’s real-time ecosystem operates at massive scale. We are looking for a Backend Engineer who can harness this data through beautiful, simple tools and services. We serve a diverse and growing set of customers who rely on you and your team to help them be more efficient and effective in their jobs. You will be responsible for crafting and building tools and systems, enabling actions on the core infrastructure. You will join the team in London designing, building and shipping beautifully crafted features to the delight of our users. You will be responsible for building, scaling and maintaining web services and infrastructure that connect hundreds of millions of active Twitter users to real-time information about what’s relevant in their lives and the world we live in. You must work hand-in-hand with the TweetDeck UI team, product management, and design teams to establish requirements for new services, then design, build, test and rapidly iterate them. Structure components, which deliver billions of tweets and support 300M+ users.
What you’ll do:
- Design scalable solutions that enable simple and elegant management and implementation of complex infrastructure systems.
- Implement software in a reliable and sustainable manner.
- Support and maintain your software systems to ensure a high-quality customer experience.
- Collaborate with, learn from, and mentor teammates.
- You must be able to work both autonomously and as part of a team, including the ability to collaborate closely with engineers in remote offices. In return, you will get to work alongside some of the brightest minds in the industry and thrive in a culture that always puts users first. Our culture emphasises creative problem solving, fast iteration and execution.
Who you are:
- Track record of crafting and implementing complex software services
- Contributions to the open-source tight-knit group
- Disciplined approach to testing and quality assurance
- Experience implementing software engineering best practices (e.g. unit testing, code reviews, design documentation)
- Great written communication and documentation abilities
- Responsibilities Build and maintain high-performance, scalable systems Improve the reliability and efficiency of TweetDeck core systems
- Work closely with, and incorporate feedback from product management, interaction designers, and UI engineers
- Rapidly fix bugs and solve problems
- Develop elegant solutions to complex problems Code using Scala, Java, or Python Pro-actively look for ways to make TweetDeck better
- Strong algorithms, data structures, and coding background
- BS in Computer Science or comparable experience or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years of industry experience with large-scale distributed systems & services & web infrastructure
- Solid foundation in data structures, algorithms and complexity analysis
- Comfortable working in a small, fast-growing, and dynamic development environment
- Forward thinking, execution-orientated and a team player
- Ideally, you can provide a link to your portfolio of websites, personal projects, github repo, or technology blog
- You use and love Twitter
- You are not afraid of a challenge at scale
- Experience designing fault-tolerant distributed systems Experience with Hadoop or other
- We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.
Twitter Recruiting: All the deets about who we're hiring, what we're doing and why you should come and work here! #lovewhereyouwork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!