Head of LIVE Sports
Twitter…the best place you have ever worked. Ever. As a company, we strive to make a difference in the world, do the best work, and have fun while doing it.
We're building a platform where all voices can be heard, creating fun ways for people to express themselves, and growing our business in a way that makes us proud.
We innovate, experiment, and move at a fast pace. We’re a learning organization with a growth mindset, and we’re always looking for ways to improve our product and ourselves.
Passion and personality matter. You’ll work with creative and curious people across the globe, and we want you to feel comfortable being yourself every day you're here.
If that sounds like your kind of company, keep reading.
About our Live Streaming Video Experience
Twitter is quickly building and improving a live streaming video experience that can support any kind of live content across sports, entertainment, and news. What’s unique about this experience is that it pairs the live-streaming video together with vibrant live Twitter conversations in a way that connects the audience more closely. Twitter has partnerships with 120 Sports, Bloomberg TV, Campus Insiders, Major League Baseball, the National Basketball Association, the National Hockey League, and the Pac-12 Networks, in addition to our partnership with the National Football League.
Twitter has an opening for Head of Sports in our San Francisco, CA office. This individual will serve as a critical member in shaping the future of Twitter and our push to be number 1 in live streaming video.
What You'll Do
This role will require you to roll-up your sleeves while also have you thinking strategically about complex matters that need innovative and scalable approaches.
- Lead Twitter’s live streaming video in the area of Sports --- Partnerships, content acquisition, programming
- Drive vision and take ultimate responsibility of Twitter’s sports live streaming video content
- Partner extensively with Twitter’s various teams, including Content Partnerships, Product, Engineering, Sales, Legal, Finance, and Marketing
- Related to above, leverage these teams to maximize output at all times
- Know how Twitter is best positioned. Understand where Twitter must be better or different against the competition
- Leverage metrics in areas including views, impressions, and monetizable user audience to make refinements and iterate on the experience and offering
- Have a keen awareness of Twitter users - both today’s and tomorrow’s. Understand their current needs, and foresee future needs
- Ultimate responsibility for evaluating the effectiveness of the live sports programming and analyzing the content and demographics for real-time improvements. The key questions this person will be answering are “What should we air, when and why?” in order to appeal to the millennial consumer
In terms of how you’ll do it, when it’s all said and done, you will have demonstrated leadership, fortitude, creativity, influence, people instincts, and the ability to be both operational and strategic.
What Success Looks Like
- Simply stated, you will excel in the following areas: deal execution; relationship-building; go-to-market strategy; and cross-functional team leadership
- Ensure Twitter’s position is solidified as the clear leader in the consumer’s live streaming experience for sports
- Secure game-changing content and partnership deals that will up the ante. Building and expanding upon our existing deals with the likes of the NFL, AOL, Amazon, and Microsoft
- Fundamentally change the landscape of media / content consumption for Sports
Who You Are:
- Background in digital/streaming within sports
- Analytical and data-driven
- Intellectually curious, fast learner
- Superior communication (verbal and written) skills
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills; demonstrated ability to develop relationships and influence at all levels within the organization
- Self-starter ready to aggressively search for solutions
- Understand the cord-cutting consumer
- Creative with a proven millennial perspective, i.e. someone who understands those who do not watch television on traditional TV or cable
- Ability to evaluate the effectiveness of live programming and analyze the content to make real-time improvements
- Understand how to make acquired content more impactful: can answer the question “What should we air and when?” based on demographics and regional trends
- Extensive experience within the content acquisition / partnership space
- High conviction and innovative leader willing to expresses a point of view and drive opinions, coupled with strong business acumen
- 10+ years in the sports content acquisition space with increasing responsibility/complexity
- Experience with sports programming and scheduling
- Experience working in a faced paced, high growth, dynamic business environment; tech or media industry experience highly desired
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA preferred but not required
- Willing to travel
- Willing to relocate to San Francisco
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
After you apply, a recruiter may reach out to you for an introductory call.
If your background is a match for the role, you may phone interview with 1-2 people.
If you continue through the process, you will come onsite 1-2 times to interview with a total of 5-10 people.
Twitter Recruiting: All the deets about who we're hiring, what we're doing and why you should come and work here! #lovewhereyouwork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!