Engineering Manager - Core Services
Engineering managers at Twitter provide the leadership needed to build technologies that flawlessly serve the billion tweets our users submit on a weekly basis. As Twitter evolves, we need managers to lead the engineering teams that make the world’s largest real-time system scalable and efficient.
The Core Services teams build, scale and maintain the software services which define the core components of Twitter: user, tweet, social graph, and url services. As a manager in Core Services, you’ll lead a team that works on some of the world’s most highly-scaled distributed systems. Your work will have a direct impact on the lives of our users as well as the success of our business.
The following describes what we think are the paths to success for this role:
- We believe passion and personality matter. As such, we need someone who can manage diverse, smart, and driven engineers while balancing personnel challenges with business requirements.
A successful engineering manager will:
- Mentor the professional development of each direct report through personal and performance management.
- Be an aggressive source of engineering talent and be comfortable closing candidates
- Give engineers the tools, confidence, and motivation to make decisions independently that lead to the recognition of your engineers and not just yourself.
Our ultimate goal is to ‘ship it ’, so it’s imperative that the engineering manager:
- Be responsible for the group’s technical strategy and roadmap – creating success metrics in close collaboration with other Engineering and Product Managers.
- Brings a strong perspective that drives change and motivates engineers to develop simple solutions to complex problems.
- Works with tech leads and senior engineers to gather system requirements, gut checks new feature proposals and large system improvements.
- Has the technical capacity to partner with tech leads and is comfortable diving into the fray to help drive resolution in the case of bad incidents.
- Previously managed a team of 4-8 engineers with responsibility for distributed systems in production.
A successful engineering manager will communicate fearlessly to build trust. We need leaders who take active roles in shaping the future of Twitter engineering while embodying our core values. This means the manager will:
- Initiate cross-functional collaboration with Reliability Engineering, Product and Design to develop high quality, focused products (and inspire your team to independently initiate this same collaboration).
- Seek diverse perspectives to drive bottom-up innovation and create buy-in from all technical stakeholders inside and outside the team.
- Ensure the team fully understands the goals and objectives of Twitter as a company and how their work fits into 'the bigger picture.'
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.
We're the People Team at Twitter. We Tweet about who we're hiring, what we're doing, and why you should work at Twitter! #LoveWhereYouWork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!