Engineering Manager - Ad Serving Platform
Twitter's Ads Serving team builds the most critical systems and infrastructure in our whole business that’s directly responsible for our multi-billion dollar revenue stream.
Context, responsibilities, and challenges:
Twitter is synonymous with staggering scale. Hundreds of millions of users use our service every single day, generating huge amounts of traffic, often in an unpredictable manner. Advertisers seize these opportunities and react quickly to reach their target audience in real time, resulting in demand surges in the marketplace. In the midst of such variability, Twitter’s ad server — our revenue engine — performs ad matching, scoring, and ad serving at an immense scale.
We face a set of daunting challenges: Process tens of billions of ad requests, serve billions of ads both on- and off-Twitter with tight latency constraints, be highly available (four-nines+), be resilient to massive query spikes, reliably deliver the highest quality ads possible for every query, and do all of this at minimal cost (optimal resource utilization). Our ad serving engine is built to take on these challenges (read an example of our team's work here: https://blog.twitter.com/2016/resilient-ad-serving-at-twitter-scale).
In addition, we also build systems that process ad spend information in real-time. The “live-spend pipeline”, which works hand-in-hand with serving, is also a massively scalable system that processes impressions, clicks and engagements using real time stream processing technologies, and provides data to the serving, billing, and advertiser-analytics systems.
We’re looking for a super strong, seasoned engineering manager with systems and infrastructure expertise to join the Ads Serving team and lead a stellar group of world-class systems engineers.
What you'll do:
- Effectively coach, mentor and guide the technical and professional development of the members of the team.
- Scale the team up by sourcing and hiring both externally and internally, and keep a super high bar while doing so!
- Ensure the team fully understands the goals and objectives of Twitter as a company and how their work fits into the bigger picture.
- Partner with product vertical teams to capture requirements for Revenue, and build the most effective systems, services, and infrastructure to achieve those goals.
- Advise the revenue organization on priorities based on changing business needs
- Participate in deep technical design discussions within your team, and across partner teams, and ensure that we're building the right systems and keeping the quality high. You will bring a strong perspective that drives change and motivates engineers to develop simple solutions to complex problems.
- Inspire the team to be autonomous, grow people’s careers, and build technical leaders within the team.
Who you are:
- You have a total of 5+ years of experience building software systems.
- You've led a team of 5-8 engineers, and have ~2+ years of engineering management experience.
- You have experience building services for distributed systems, and have successfully taken projects from inception to production.
- You have direct experience building systems with online components to them (i.e., they serve requests to users).
- You have experience formulating a team's technical strategy and roadmap; you've collaborated and partnered effectively with several other teams.
- You are comfortable diving into the technical aspects of various parts of the backend system.
- You can provide a strong technical vision for systems and infrastructure teams.
- Strong CS fundamentals: algorithms, data structures, design patterns, etc.
- A broad knowledge-base and understanding of technologies such as information retrieval, scalability, performance, resiliency, real-time systems, streaming-compute, distributed data storage systems and control systems.
- A solid grasp on good software engineering practices.
- Great communication skills.
- BS, MS, or PhD in computer science or a related field, or equivalent work experience
- Specific experience with Storm or other Streaming Compute based technologies
- Specific experience with Cassandra, Redis, Memcached or MySQL
- Specific experience with Hadoop or other MapReduce-based architectures
- Contributions to the open-source community
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.
Twitter Recruiting: All the deets about who we're hiring, what we're doing and why you should come and work here! #lovewhereyouwork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!