Who we are
Twitter Cortex is the central machine learning organization at Twitter. Cortex’s mission is to empower internal teams to efficiently leverage machine learning by providing platform, modeling and research expertise while advancing the ML technologies within Twitter.
Cortex Signals is the Applied Machine Learning pillar of Twitter Cortex. We apply machine learning expertise in various areas including NLP, Computer Vision, Topic modeling, Knowledge Graphs and partner closely with various teams at Twitter. We apply and advance state of the art ML techniques in these domains to invent new models and systems that can be used to improve various Twitter experiences for our customers. We tackle Twitter specific ML challenges such as the real-time, ever changing nature of our data and limited context.
We encourage publishing papers while focusing on solving real-world problems that improve Twitter for our customers. We operate at scale whilst ensuring fair and ethical use of our models and data.
What You’ll Do
You are a strategist and will provide technical leadership to Cortex Signals, Twitter’s Applied Machine Learning organization. We’re looking for a Principal level individual contributor with a track record of successfully delivering machine learning models and systems end to end, who can lead, mentor and grow NLP modelers and engineers, along with the Engineering Manager.
You will partner with product management and your technical leads to build a high-value roadmap of innovation for your organization. You will lead by example to build your team culture in keeping with Twitter’s culture. You will partner with Engineering Managers in multiple organizations across Twitter and guide modelers and engineers with your technical expertise by contributing to design reviews and ideation. You will help mentor, coach and grow people.
You will work with our machine learning modelers and researchers to innovate and build new models and systems, improve and enhance existing ML systems as well as discover new opportunities to apply machine learning to solve critical problems. Your responsibilities will include:
- Mentoring: Mentor the professional development of the team, in conjunction with the Engineering Manager.
- Planning / Alignment: Plan and collaborate with other teams Twitter in delivering impactful changes, whilst working together with other Cortex teams for the long term.
- Provide oversight: Lead strategy with engineers and researchers to understand how everything fits together and how best to deliver meaningful impact. Understands when ML is applicable and when it is not, and what are the risks.
- Execution: Make decisions which balance between immediate impact and long-term bets, as well as managing resourcing and prioritization.
- Relationship management: You will forge close relationships with the Principal and Staff engineering community as well as with engineering and product management leaders in multiple organizations at Twitter and you will partner with them to deliver impact.
- Cross functional partnership: Work closely with other teams from across the company to deliver impactful projects which may involve multiple disciplines.