Who We Are
The Natural Language Processing (NLP) team is part of Cortex, the central machine learning organization at Twitter. Cortex’s mission is to empower internal teams to efficiently leverage machine learning by providing platform, modeling and research expertise while advancing the ML technologies within Twitter.
We tackle Twitter specific challenges in the NLP domain such as the real-time, ever changing nature of our data and limited context. We apply and advance state of the art natural language processing techniques to invent new models and systems that can be used to improve various Twitter experiences for our customers.
What You’ll Do
You will build and lead the Natural Language Processing organization comprising one or more teams of diverse, smart, and driven NLP and machine learning experts including modelers and engineers. We’re looking for a leader who can potentially hire, mentor and grow an engineering manager for an NLP team and also manage part of their team of modelers and engineers directly.
You will partner with product management and your technical leads to build a high-value roadmap of innovation for your organization. You will partner with recruiting to hire NLP and ML experts into your team. You will put mechanisms in place to ensure your org delivers results. You will lead by example to build your organizational culture in keeping with Twitters culture. You will partner with technical leads and guide modelers and engineers with your technical expertise by contributing to design reviews and ideation. You will mentor, coach and grow people.
You will work with our machine learning modelers and researchers to innovate and build new models and systems, improve and enhance existing ML systems as well as discover new opportunities to apply machine learning to solve critical problems. Your responsibilities will include:
- Recruitment: Help hire expert NLP and ML modelers and engineers - help with sourcing and selling to candidates as well as vetting them for the team. Provide innovative solutions for both attracting and retaining top talent.
- Mentoring: Mentor the professional development of each direct report through personal and performance management. Establish regular 1:1s with direct reports. Craft individual improvement/goal plans with each direct report and ensure that they receive regular, documented feedback.
- Planning / Alignment: Plan and collaborate with other teams Twitter in delivering impactful changes, whilst working together with other Cortex teams for the long term.
- Provide oversight: Work with engineers and researchers to understand how everything fits together and how best to deliver meaningful impact. Understands when ML is applicable and when it is not, and what are the risks.
- Execution: Make decisions which balance between immediate impact and long-term bets, as well as managing resourcing and prioritisation.
- Relationship management: Help with managing relationship between other teams in Cortex which you’ll partner with to deliver impact.
- Cross functional management: Work closely with other teams from across the company to deliver impactful projects which may involve multiple disciplines. Also work with other managers in the office to build upon the office culture and ensure a healthy workplace environment.