Staff Data Scientist - Interests
US - Remote US
New York City
Staff Data Scientist - Interests
Staff Data Scientist - Interests. You will be a key member of the Interests Data Science team working closely with data scientists, engineers, and product managers to improve major new products like Topics and Lists Recommendation. You will design and analyze experiments, propose metrics to summarize and improve the performance of recommender systems, and help drive a deeper, quantitative understanding of interests and communities on Twitter.
Why it matters
Making it easier for users to find content related to their interests is core to Twitter’s strategy. The Interests data science team is on the leading edge of this work, and our analyses help motivate, design, and evaluate major product investments in this space.
What you’ll be doing
As a staff data scientist on the Interests team you will:
- Design, implement, and analyze experiments to determine how changes to the platform affect user behavior and refine our theoretical understanding of users’ interests and the communities they form.
- Conduct analyses to better understand the performance of our content recommendation, ranking, and clustering systems. Use this understanding to evaluate the performance of these systems and suggest improvements to them.
- Create accurate and statistically sound summary metrics to evaluate the performance of Interests related products and motivate teams’ targets/KRs.
- Communicate findings to executives and cross-functional teams.
What it takes
- Advanced degree in a discipline that uses statistical analysis and 4+ years of experience (or 7+ years of total experience).
- Experience with one or more of the following in an applied business setting: advanced statistical techniques for A/B testing, methods for experimental design, observational causal inference, or quasi-experimental analysis.
- Solid understanding of the design and analysis of recommender systems.
- Track record for executing independent projects and leading complex, multi-functional projects with several dependencies.
- Strong proficiency with Python / R and SQL.
- Experience mentoring junior data scientists and enthusiasm for building out a new data science team.
Who we are
Twitter serves the public conversation by encouraging people all over the world to connect, learn, debate and solve problems together. We believe conversation can change the world, and that’s why Tweeps (that’s what we call Twitter employees) come to work every day.
Job opportunities should be equal. We don't discriminate. Period. In legal terms, that means: Twitter is an equal opportunity employer and doesn’t discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: In response to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we’d like to mention that we consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people via a video conference call.