Software Engineer - Systems (Hiring Events)
What the job is and where:
As a Senior Software Engineer, Systems on the Engineering, Product, and Design team, you’ll work on the core features of twitter.com: think timelines, tweets, search, trends, notifications, tweet details/permalink, etc. If you’re interested in working on Revenue, we have you covered; Our Revenue teams builds the most critical systems and infrastructure in our whole business that’s directly responsible for our multi-billion dollar revenue stream. If you prefer to improve Twitter by building scalable infrastructure platforms, then our Platform Engineering teams is the place to explore. Platform teams focus on performance, usability, and accessibility of our platform.
Why it matters:
Our engineering teams contribute to the services and infrastructure that connect hundreds of millions of active Twitter users to real-time information about what’s relevant in their lives and the world we live in. People from all backgrounds use Twitter. Our mission is to make our company reflect our service which is why we are strongly encouraging diverse talent, traditionally underrepresented in tech (women, black, latinx, native american, etc.) to apply.
These events include interviewing and immediate hiring.
Here’s what to expect from the process:
- You could be asked to complete a code challenge before the event.
- After the code challenge, you could interview onsite at the event with one of our teams that support the Consumer, Revenue, and Platform businesses.
- Successful candidates will eventually be placed in Twitter’s SF headquarters, work in a distributed Twitter office (e.g. Boulder, New York City, Atlanta, Boston/Cambridge), or work remotely (for those who qualify).
For successful candidates, we also offer:
- Relocation assistance (for those who qualify)
- Immigration support
- Non accrued vacation policy
- Inclusive & competitive benefits (Medical, 401k, Global Parenting Program, Fertility Assistance, Wellness Reimbursement, and more!)
What it takes:
- 4 - 6 years of professional work experience with backend infrastructure, distributed systems, performance analysis, and/or large-scale data processing
- Experience with standard software engineering methodology (e.g. unit testing, code reviews, design documentation). Strong algorithms and data structures background
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
Desired (not required):
- Experience designing fault-tolerant distributed systems in a service-oriented architecture
- Experience with Hadoop or other MapReduce-based architectures
- Experience with Cassandra, Redis, Memcached or MySQL
- Contributions to the open-source community
What you’ll be doing:
- Build and maintain high-performance, scalable systems
- Improve the reliability and efficiency of Twitter's core systems
- Support Twitter’s internal APIs and user-facing products
- Develop elegant solutions to complex problems
- Code using Java, C/C++, Scala
Who we are:
Twitter serves the public conversation by encouraging people all over the world to connect, learn, debate and solve problems together. We believe conversation can change the world, and that’s why Tweeps (that’s what we call Twitter employees) come to work every day.
Twitter is experiencing unprecedented growth with its Engineering, Product, and Design (EPD) organizations as it enters its teenage tech years. We have a great platform, passionate users, and a very bright future. Launched in July 2006, Twitter now has 320M active users. Headquartered in San Francisco, California, we have a global presence of over 3,900 employees across 33 offices, with over half of these employees representing EPD.
Job opportunities should be equal. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer and doesn’t discriminate based on any legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: In response to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we’d like to mention that we consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.