Software Engineer - Capacity Planning (Backend)
Who We Are
The Capacity Planning team builds and maintains Twitter’s capacity planning platform that manages 10’s of thousands of physical machines and millions of CPU cores and disks. The capacity planning platform monitors critical services across all of twitter.com, our advertising business, and our internal infrastructure. We are a small, highly collaborative group working with and across all key areas of what makes Twitter work. Our focus is on solving the right problems for our internal customers while maintaining operational scalability and accuracy. We are strongly committed to automating as much of capacity planning as possible using machine learning, other internal tools as well as other tools available on the market.
Who you are
You are self-organized and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment. You have a strong passion for identifying and solving performance and utilization challenges, helping scale services and platforms within our capacity budget and finding opportunities to make Twitter more efficient. You are well versed in design and algorithms as well as strong analytical and debugging skills. You are very comfortable with building robust data pipelines of high data quality in a scalable fashion.
- Strong ownership from inception and design through to deployment and maintenance
- Collaborate with users throughout the company to understand needs
- Active role in team processes, and product decisions to help drive standardization efforts across multiple disciplines
- Help design, develop and deliver new automation solutions to address Capacity Planning focus areas dealing with capacity management, forecasting, fleet-wide usage monitoring, budgeting and ordering of hardware.
- 3+ years experience in an infrastructure Demand or Capacity planning position
- Experience building automation tools used to drive capacity optimization efforts
- Experience building data models used to create capacity plans.
- Strong communication skills (including listening, speaking and writing) and ability to work well in a diverse, team-focused environment.
Nice To Have
- Experience developing innovative ways to smartly measure, monitor, forecast and report capacity trends.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.