Curator, Breaking News (English, Spanish and Portuguese) - London
We’re looking for a Curator to work on the Breaking News Team within the Twitter Curation team. This Curator must be able to work in English, Spanish + Portuguese. Come join us!
Twitter Curation is a global team that provides essential insight in five languages into the content published on our platforms. We enable people around the world to better enjoy our services by highlighting the best of Twitter, increasing understanding and trust by identifying key stories and conversations worth following, putting them in context, and removing barriers to participation. Twitter is where news is most often first reported, and a single Tweet often drives the news agendas of the world’s largest media companies. The breaking news team is part of an experimental initiative to detect, verify and explain the most talked about stories breaking on Twitter in real-time. We’re looking for an expert in social media and passionate about journalism, to help cover what’s happening around the world.
What you’ll do
As a member of the Twitter Curation team, you will be based in London, UK, and report to the Deputy Lead for Breaking News. In this role, you will be responsible for covering breaking news during your shift. Day-to-day you will work a group of multilingual curators based around the world tasked with executing the breaking news strategy. In addition, you will help define the best techniques for quickly and accurately identifying important events as they happen on Twitter, and coordinate with the global Twitter Curation team to quickly and accurately curate the news for relevant markets and languages. This individual must also be a strong communicator, both offline and online, who is a team player and excited to collaborate with and learn from colleagues around the world who have different points of view and areas of expertise.
This position is full-time. Candidates will need to be available to work weekends and should be very familiar with Twitter’s diverse and passionate communities and users.
Success in this role is measured by
• Identifying breaking news events and conversations that we can curate
• Weaving stories from Tweets to create compelling, narratively-driven Moments
• Working quickly and under time pressure without sacrificing accuracy
• Communicating early, clearly, and often when collaborating on short and long-term assignments with local as well as global colleagues
• Providing feedback on use of internal tools
• Bringing expertise of and judicious analysis to one or more content areas (News, Politics, Sports, Entertainment, etc.)
• Helping to shape curation strategy around Breaking News,
• Looking for areas of improvement, regularly suggesting new ideas to streamline curation process, bolster curator training, and fine tune content consistency and accuracy
• Seeking out opportunities to collaborate globally as well as cross-functionally
• Recognising gaps in coverage by monitoring metrics, user comments and behaviour and developing new potential content opportunities and case studies
Who you are
The ideal candidate will have proven experience and domain expertise in real-time, online news-gathering.
If this role sounds like a great match, you probably have:
- A strong sense of urgency and an unbreakable commitment to accuracy first
- Proven experience with online publishing and content curation, with a high degree of discipline along with a passion for continuous improvement
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to influence decision-making across teams and levels
- Strong analytical skills; you are metrics driven and make decisions based on data
- Comfort navigating ambiguity, and the ability to stay calm and make decisions under pressure
- Active Twitter/Periscope accounts and a strong interest in social media
- BA/BS degree or local equivalent required
- Journalism qualification or equivalent experience
- 4+ years experience in real-time publishing in a breaking news team, content curation, or similar
- Extensive experience in using Twitter as a tool in reporting
- Experience with newsgathering tools like Tweetdeck, Dataminr for News, etc.
- Working hours may vary depending on business need, including on-call shifts/coverage
- Must be fluent in English plus Spanish + Portuguese
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
After you apply, a recruiter may reach out to you for an introductory call.
If your background is a match for the role, you may phone interview with 1-2 people.
If you continue through the process, you will come onsite 1-2 times to interview with a total of 5-10 people.
Be part of what's happening. Follow us for a feed full of company, culture, diversity + hiring. Plus, find out how to #JoinTheFlock so you can #LoveWhereYouWork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!