Senior Employment Counsel
Who We Are
Twitter’s Employment Legal team provides strategic, pragmatic employment law advice to Twitter’s business, across the globe, from Twitter’s San Francisco headquarters. Our high-impact team partners with Twitter’s business to solve challenging legal issues and shape responsive business strategies.
Who You Are
Twitter is looking for an experienced in-house employment attorney to join the global employment legal team. The right candidate is passionate about employment law - a creative and smart problem solver who is comfortable working in a fast-paced, sometimes unstructured environment with broad responsibility. We are looking for someone to bring legal smarts, analytic rigor, business sense, a strong work ethic, collegiality, and personality to our team. This role is tasked with identifying and solving interesting legal issues in the business, working proactively and with people in teams throughout the organization, including members of People, Sales, Corporate Development, Finance, Tax and Stock Administration.
Sound like you? Read on:
What You’ll Do
- Serve as in-house legal advisor on a broad spectrum of employment law matters, both in the US and internationally, including: recruiting, employee relations, performance management, leaves of absence and accommodations, wage and hour, internal investigations, compensation and benefits, privacy, contingent workforce issues, and immigration
- Evaluate employment practices for legal risk, establish priorities for process improvements, and execute on established priorities
- Draft, review, and/or revise playbooks, policies, agreements, templates, and other employment-related documents
- Collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders and manage projects with a team-oriented approach
- Evaluate employment practices, policies, and processes to assess and execute priorities, and ensure compliance
- Review and respond to claims, demand letters, administrative complaints, audits, and other employment-related inquiries
- Assist in managing outside counsel on employment matters, and provide guidance to litigation team regarding employment litigation as needed
- Assist in developing and conducting training and education programs for employees, managers, and the People team
- Collaborate with local counsel to advise the People team and management on international employment and immigration issues
- At least 5 years of relevant experience, which must include time with a top major law firm and prior relevant in-house experience (strongly preferred)
- Entrepreneurial mindset: flexible, self-starting, and strong work ethic
- Comfort evaluating legal risk in light of business and practical considerations and ability to make clear, business savvy recommendations
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively within a legal team and cross-functionally with members at all levels of the growing organization
- Strong interpersonal skills, team-oriented attitude, and superior attention to detail
- International employment experience strongly preferred
- Comfortable working in a company experiencing rapid growth
- Sound business and legal judgment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience developing and presenting training to employees and managers a plus
- J.D. from an accredited law school and membership in at least one state bar (preferably California)
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
After you apply, a recruiter may reach out to you for an introductory call.
If your background is a match for the role, you may phone interview with 1-2 people.
If you continue through the process, you will come onsite 1-2 times to interview with a total of 5-10 people.
Be part of what's happening. Follow us for a feed full of company, culture, diversity + hiring. Plus, find out how to #JoinTheFlock so you can #LoveWhereYouWork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!