Engineering Manager - Health Machine Learning Infrastructure
ENGINEERING MANAGER - HEALTH MACHINE LEARNING INFRASTRUCTURE
Are you an engineering leader who’s passionate about defending online users against abuse, spam, and manipulation? Will you be proud to lead a team working on a real-time, scalable system that enables Machine Learning models to perform millions of detections? If so, you should join us. Health is Twitter’s top priority and we need your help!
Who We Are
The mission of the Health organization at Twitter is to keep our users safe from negative experiences in a highly adversarial environment. This aligns with our company's #1 priority: growing the collective health, openness, and civility of public conversation.
The Health ML Infrastructure engineering team is responsible for the platform powering Twitter’s ability to detect unhealthy content and interactions at an unprecedented scale. We work on some of the world’s most highly-scaled distributed systems, handling hundreds of millions of tweets and engagements each day. Our platform generates and provides access to a rich set of signals that feed into Machine Learning models to automatically detect harmful content and behaviors. In turn, each product surface at Twitter relies on our platform to keep their users safe.
What You’ll Do
We look for someone who can lead teams of diverse, smart, distributed (across multiple geos), and driven engineers. We need leaders who take active roles in shaping the future of Twitter engineering while embodying our core values. A successful engineering manager will:
- Lead a team of talented engineers who like to ship code and tackle hard engineering and scalability problems.
- Build cohesive, high-functioning teams that thrive in a culture of trust, respect, and inclusion.
- Balance autonomy with guidance by giving your teams the tools, context, confidence, and motivation to make decisions effectively and independently.
- Have the technical capacity to partner with tech leads and be comfortable diving into the fray to help drive resolution in the case of incidents.
- Take responsibility for the group’s short-term and long-term strategy. Define the team's roadmap, success metrics, and priorities in close collaboration with other engineering teams and multi-functional partners.
- Maintain a balance between building sustainable, high-impact projects and shipping things quickly.
- Own your team’s deliverables and ensure we develop scalable, highly-available infrastructure that enables product engineers to experiment and rapidly iterate on products that delight our users and customers.
- Work closely with the Twitter recruiting team to hire high-potential candidates from diverse backgrounds.
Who You Are
- You have experience leading engineers at all levels and you’re skilled at coaching and guiding your directs through their career development.
- You believe in building both teams and infrastructure that scale.
- You have a technical background with experience in distributed systems, and are able to contribute to planning and design discussions. Experience with supporting online serving of Machine Learning models in a production environment is a definite plus.
- You have a collaborative working style with a strong focus on disciplined execution and results.
- You like to ground decisions in data and reasoning and solve root causes of problems rather than surface issues.
- You are adept at communicating relevant information clearly and concisely.
- You look ahead to identify opportunities and foster a culture of innovation.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.
Be part of what's happening. Follow us for a feed full of company, culture, diversity + hiring. Plus, find out how to #JoinTheFlock so you can #LoveWhereYouWork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!