Senior Software Engineer - Twitter Revenue Experience Team
Who We Are:
At Twitter, our advertising business went from zero to two billion in revenue faster than any other company. It’s critically important to show that value in a way advertisers understand, trust, and can dig into for more detail.
Our team is responsible for all interfaces between Twitter ad products and advertisers such as ads.twitter.com and the ads API. We aim to build high quality, full-stack products that make it easy for advertisers to create and measure their campaigns and objectives.
What We Do:
Do you want to make a huge impact while working with large data sets at a really big scale? Our teams work closely with other Twitter businesses while pulling together a world-class, highly efficient, scalable and measurable offering for our advertisers. We are hiring software engineers in the following areas:
- Ads Measurement - Does advertising work on Twitter? We provide data to prove the effectiveness of ads campaign. It’s the only way for our advertisers to understand the influence of each advertising impression on a consumer’s awareness, intent, and purchase decision. We are building a highly accurate real-time streaming system with the largest scale of data at Twitter to display ads attribution data. We also provide advertiser measurement report based on experiment-based big-data analytics system which enables them to optimize and derive their business value.
- MAP - Mobile App Promotion team is tasked with dramatically improving the predictability that advertisers can expect from us when wanting to spend on Twitter to drive app installs and re-engagement. Today, this is seemingly random and can vary from day to day. We are responsible for end to end ownership of the system spanning the whole stack. Success will require us to focus on 3 broad areas - stability, performance and scale. Help us define and implement new architecture critical to our growing business.
- Video Ads - Twitter is the only place where conversation is tied to video and the biggest live moments, giving brands the unrivaled ability to connect with leaned-in consumers who are shaping culture. We own all video monetization at Twitter, supporting well over $1B in annual revenue across our suite of products. We are a predominantly back-end product team, working to drive up value for users, publishers, and advertisers.
- Creatives - The Creatives team owns the interaction between Ads and the consumer experience. This is reflected both in building formats and experiences that are valuable to consumers, and in building tools that guide advertisers in developing campaigns in order to optimize their impact to Twitter's end-users.
- Planner - Ads Planning and Forecasting team’s mission is to build the forecasting layer for various ad products here at Twitter. We predict unique users and impressions they can see for a given budget. We look at the past data and use various statistical and programmatic modelling to accurately calculate the future campaign performance metric (unique reach, pricing, average frequency).
- Ad Quality - The Ad Quality team designs and builds systems that enable effective and accurate review of promoted Twitter products. We create automated review processes, utilizing numerous signals, including machine learning models developed by the team.
- Ads API - The Advertiser API platform serves some of the world’s biggest brands, agencies, and Ad Tech partners, solves their campaign, creative, and audience management needs and provides insights and analytics. We’re focused on developer efficiency, driving an API first philosophy and ensuring that our platform is stable, extensible, and scalable.
- Businesses Foundations - Our largest agencies and advertisers contribute most of our revenue, and we need to scale our systems to handle the next wave of growth. Come join us in rethinking our current models/systems and building product infrastructure that unifies all customer activity and solves some of the most painful efficiency and workflow problems for our largest customers.
Our Engineering Environment:
At Twitter, we believe that good system designs require collaboration so that the end result is simple yet sophisticated. We promote openness by contributing to open source and sharing our data through Twitter’s API (learn more here - https://dev.twitter.com/ads/overview). Our technology stack is mainly based on Scala and Java on the backend, with data analytics systems built on Heron and Hadoop.
Who You Are:
- You are a proven engineer. Not only strong technically, you have shown that you can work effectively with product managers, designers and other engineering teams.
- You have a fierce sense of ownership, caring deeply about the quality of everything that you deliver into your customers' hands.
- You love the challenge of engineering, and are confident in your ability to bring clarity and direction to ambiguous problem spaces.
- You work well in a fast paced environment while deeply invest in long term quality and efficiency.
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or similar technical field
- 6+ years experience developing large scale distributed systems
- Fluent in one or more JVM based language such as Java or Scala
- Experienced in backend systems such as data processing (realtime and batch mode), storage platforms, and service-oriented architecture
- Strong software engineering practices (e.g. coding, unit testing, code reviews, design documentation)
- Experience innovating in service-oriented architecture
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.