Manager, Legal Policy - Trust & Safety
Who We Are:
The teams in Twitter’s Trust & Safety (T&S) department work to safeguard user expression and privacy in balance with manageable risk through policy enforcement that promotes trust in Twitter. Areas of focus include privacy and intellectual property rights, government and law enforcement requests, advertising policies, and safety advocacy.
What You’ll Do:
Twitter Trust & Safety seeks an experienced, team-oriented, flexible manager to join our Legal Policy management team in San Francisco. You will report to our Global Senior Manager of Legal Policy in San Francisco and have a focus on information request-related policies and processes for handling US legal requests and ongoing team development. If you're analytical, disciplined, proactive, and have a knack for managing multiple people and tasks efficiently, apply today!
You will be responsible for actively and conscientiously growing your team through purposeful hiring and implementing a comprehensive staff development plan. Your team is responsible for processing sensitive legal requests from start to finish, including document intake, processing, and follow-up.
You will work closely with Legal Policy management and other team members distributed across the world to continuously iterate on relevant policies and workflows, and collaborate on related strategies with our in-house counsel and public policy teams. In addition, you will be responsible for creating and improving processes and documentation, conducting quality assurance, contributing to broader Trust & Safety initiatives, and coordinating communications across the team and with other internal stakeholders across the company.
You should be comfortable in a fast-paced environment, able to delegate effectively, remain focused and communicative in high-pressure situations, and inspire great work from your team. You will be able to assess current and future team needs in fast-changing legal and regulatory environments, all with an eye toward protecting our users and promoting transparency. Familiarity with developing policies for handling requests from law enforcement or civil litigants in third-party requests for account information as well as scaling operations and working with distributed teams is required and comfort with, and enjoyment of, electronic communications is essential.
Who You Are:
- You have 5-7+ years of relevant experience (with 2-4+ years of it as management experience) including familiarity with information disclosure laws, policy development, oversight of large-scale operations, and a proven track record of team development
- You have strong management and leadership skills
- You are able to set clear priorities for your team and eliminate barriers to success
- You are passionate and enthusiastic about protecting user privacy and freedom of expression
- You have excellent business judgment, think strategically, and are extremely detail-oriented
- You have exceptional communication and writing skills and may be required to communicate externally
- You have strong relationship-building and team development skills
- You are able to collaborate with a global multicultural team of stakeholders, sometimes with competing priorities
- You are able to manage numerous projects simultaneously under pressure and time constraints
- You are patient, determined, flexible, and open-minded
- You are a total team player
- Continuously evaluate and propose improvements for existing policies, operations, frameworks, and processes
- Facilitate meaningful professional development opportunities and strategic direction for team
- Motivate your team to efficiently and accurately produce high quality work product
- Oversee investigation, logging, handling, follow-up, and documentation for handling US legal requests and correspondence
- Proactively recognize needs, anticipate issues, and propose viable solutions
- Develop and oversee a law enforcement outreach and training program in collaboration with other regional stakeholders
- Maintain open, thorough, and regular communication with global T&S management, in-house counsel, and public policy
- Communicate clear, objective, and patient explanations of process and policy to team and internal stakeholders
- Effectively delegate tasks and see projects through to completion
- Ensure compliance within external deadlines and internal SLAs
- Oversee quality assurance and quality control processes
- Prioritize and organize team’s handling of escalated requests
- Provide on-call support in LP-wide EDR rotation, as well as troubleshooting and proactive referrals
Strongly Preferred Qualifications:
- 5-7+ years in a similar role at a tech company
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent education / experience
Exposure to sensitive or graphic content including but not limited to vulgar language, violent threats, pornography, and other graphic images.
Telecommuting is not an option; this role is full-time in San Francisco. Please be sure to specify all languages and level of fluency in your application/resume.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
After you apply, a recruiter may reach out to you for an introductory call.
If your background is a match for the role, you may phone interview with 1-2 people.
If you continue through the process, you will come onsite 1-2 times to interview with a total of 5-10 people.