Engineering Manager - DICE Team
Engineering Manager - Instrumentation & Configuration (DICE)
Who We Are:
DICE (Dynamic Instrumentation, Configuration, and Events) is looking for an outstanding manager to work on Twitter’s runtime product configuration that controls the behavior of Twitter in different markets and conditions around the world. This team also plays a key role in how Twitter instruments A/B experimentation and gathers product data for analysis. The team owns high throughput APIs that both control feature behavior and observe their effects, across all Twitter products (including mobile and web), as well as an internal developer platform for product engineers at Twitter. DICE is the primary collection point that powers both business and product insights for Twitter.
Some of our current projects:
- Developing Twitter’s product configuration service. This includes a lightning fast rules engine that evaluates over 10K rules per request.
- Building our next generation experimentation configuration system for targeting users to receive new feature capabilities and UI. Twitter uses experiments to drive product enhancements and determine which features create a positive impact.
- Maintain and enhance a configuration tool set which allows graphical editing of complex rule sets. Enables engineers across Twitter to confidently introduce and manage production configurations.
- Improving Twitter’s user metrics pipeline which currently handles millions of requests per second from all Twitter owned and operated mobile (Android, iOS, etc.) clients and web.
What You’ll Do:
Be the manager of a small engineering team working on high-impact and challenging services, tools and libraries. Role is based in Seattle with regular travel to San Francisco.
Lead stakeholder meetings for various services that are owned by the DICE Team. Provide support and education to Twitter engineers that use DICE services. Participate in cross functional meetings that require representation of the DICE Team.
Meet regularly with DICE Team engineers both in Seattle and in San Francisco. Provide timely feedback and mentor engineers with their career growth.
Appreciate our collaborative atmosphere. Give and receive feedback to build trust and transparency. Join a team where we #LoveWhereWeWork.
Who You Are:
- You are passionate about Twitter!
- You have strong communication skills and don’t mind spending time on video chat since our team is geographically distributed.
- You enjoy building camaraderie between engineers and service customers. Twitter’s #OneTeam culture really resonates with your work style.
- You are comfortable with uncertainty and ambiguity while still driving projects forward. Change feels natural to you and is expected.
- You are open and honest and feel as thought trust is the best way to build relationships.
- You understand technical design documents and can articulate a system architecture in meetings with stakeholders and technical leads across multiple disciplines.
- You work well with multiple organizations such as client engineering, backend services, platform engineering, experimentation analysis, and product management for consumer and business insights.
- You are skilled at expectation management and a great advocate for your team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong technical understanding of design documents and specifications.
- Skilled at building trust relationship with team members and fellow technical leaders.
- Manage communications across various organizations to build consensus.
- Must be able to travel to San Francisco Twitter office quarterly to support the team.
- BS, MS, or PhD in computer science or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Advocate for strong software engineering best practices (e.g. unit testing, code reviews, design documentation).
- Great sense of humor and ability to build team spirit. Strong emoji/gif game a plus.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.
We're the People Team @Twitter. We're hiring service, purpose-driven people who are creative and move fast. #LoveWhereYouWork #JoinTheFlock
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!