Director, Product Trust, T&S
Are you passionate about knowing how your information is collected and utilized by the apps and online services you use? Do you hate dark patterns in products that cause people to unwittingly share more data than they meant to? Have you led teams that have completed complex, multi-disciplinary work in these or similar areas: privacy, trust, online safety, or product development? If so, you should join us!
Who We Are
Twitter’s Trust & Safety (T&S) teams work on the front lines of safety, speech, and policy issues that affect the Internet. Our goal is to ensure Twitter is a trusted platform where people can make human connections, find reliable information, and express themselves freely and safely.
The Product Trust (PT) team in T&S partners with Product Managers to understand their product roadmap and to identify product features which have Trust & Safety implications. By working together, we build safe and trustworthy products in an innovative, experiment-rich, and fast-paced environment.
What You’ll Do
As head of Product Trust, you’ll actively develop a deep understanding of Twitter's products and lead the team to ensure the timely and incisive coverage of product initiatives across the company.
- Provide strategic direction, prioritize, and approve Product Trust’s short- and long-term objectives and key results (OKRs) in support of both department and company goals.
- Improve and expand the department’s working relationships with the Product Managers that Trust & Safety works with to ensure that product roadmaps have safety built in.
- Monitor the team’s biweekly sprint performance and eliminate blockers that may prevent PT Partners from providing prompt, professional input regarding product design. Help team members craft win-win alternatives that maximize product functionality and customer trust.
- Help PT partners communicate with other T&S teams to determine the impact that a feature or product has on T&S policies, procedures, systems, and staffing. Help teams implement the required process and system changes prior to product launch.
- Strengthen the team through direct mentoring, diligent hiring, and a comprehensive staff development plan.
- Continuously develop and improve the standards, templates, and checklists that guide PT work. Formalize the performance measures used to assess the work of PT partners.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with our Legal, Public Policy, and Communications teams on product launches.
You will report directly to the T&S Director for Strategy & Operations in San Francisco. This is a full-time position.
Who You Are
You believe Twitter should obsess about T&S issues so the people who use Twitter won’t have to. Your curiosity drives you to understand the impact that product changes may have on Twitter’s diverse customer base and makes you a natural advocate for their needs.
- You are a strategic thinker and valued collaborator; you are just as comfortable strategizing and leading as you are diving into the details of PT work when circumstances require it.
- You facilitate critical conversations with ease; you have no trouble working with and juggling the (at times) competing priorities of multiple teams operating in different countries.
- You approach problems with multiple solutions in mind, and quickly pivot when needed to better account for newly-discovered data and insight.
- You have an entrepreneurial mindset and are flexible, self-motivated, dedicated, and hard-working. You actively recognize needs, resolve problems, anticipate issues, and develop solutions.
- You build and cultivate healthy relationships with partners and keep teammates informed and engaged. You customize your communication style based on your audience and easily switch between verbal and written communication as needed.
- You are open to international travel and have an appreciation and respect for the norms of cultures other than your own.
- 10+ years of experience driving and implementing policy, process redesign, project/program management, or management consulting
- 5+ years of experience leading teams, preferably in multi-site organizations. Bonus: Has held leadership roles that require extensive collaboration with third parties, partners, and teams whose short-term priorities may not be aligned with yours.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; excels at providing balanced, actionable feedback to influence decision-making without direct managerial authority.
- Strong process modeling and problem-solving capabilities. Able to document and analyze the flow of information between systems, quickly grasps how product settings and features interact to impact customer experience, and promptly propose elegant, creative solutions to address product and customer needs.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills; able to express complex issues using clear, customer-focused language that is tailored to the intended audience.
- Experience working with quantitative and qualitative data, including research findings, to support recommendations.
- Sound business judgment and critical thinking skills
- Familiarity with privacy and online safety issues or previous experience with Trust and Safety a plus
- Experience working on products that have a multi-regional or global impact a plus
Note: Potential exposure to sensitive or graphic content, including but not limited to vulgar language, violent threats, pornography, and other graphic images.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
After you apply, a recruiter may reach out to you for an introductory call.
If your background is a match for the role, you may phone interview with 1-2 people.
If you continue through the process, you will come onsite 1-2 times to interview with a total of 5-10 people.
Be part of what's happening. Follow us for a feed full of company, culture, diversity + hiring. Plus, find out how to #JoinTheFlock so you can #LoveWhereYouWork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!