Director, Product Trust, T&S
Are you passionate about understanding potential ramifications of product features and policies? Do you hate dark patterns in products that cause people to unwittingly share more data than they meant to or expose themselves to risk? Have you led teams executing on complex, multi-disciplinary work in privacy, trust, online safety, or product development? Join us and have a direct impact on protecting people’s rights and building people’s trust in Twitter!
Who We Are
Trust & Safety (T&S) works at the crossroads of human rights, law, policy, and safety. Our goal is to ensure Twitter is a trusted platform where people can make human connections, find reliable information, and express themselves freely and safely.
Product Trust (PT) is a critical team within T&S that is dedicated to building and maintaining trust through and with every product we ship. Areas of responsibility include:
- providing guidance on a range of safety, privacy, and policy issues, with a particular focus on transparency, user controls, and data privacy;
- advising on new feature development, product roadmaps, research, and other key strategic initiatives;
- proactively identifying potential gaps/risk areas and opportunities for driving cross-functional collaboration in these areas, such as developing product policies or new product-related interventions;
- partnering closely with Product and Engineering to identify potential harms, safety concerns, and unintended consequences of product changes and then design and implement mitigations and protections; and
- serving as the primary point of contact between Product and T&S and working cross-functionally with Legal, Public Policy, Design, and other stakeholders.
By working together, we build safe and trustworthy products in an innovative, experiment-rich, and fast-paced environment.
What You’ll Do
As head of Product Trust, you’ll actively develop a deep understanding of Twitter's products and lead the team to ensure the timely and incisive coverage of product initiatives across the company and develop comprehensive, cohesive policy principles and guidance for product behaviors and experiences. You will be responsible for:
- defining and driving Product Trust’s strategic direction, priorities, and work in support of both department and company goals;
- deepening T&S’ working relationship with Product leadership and PMs to ensure product roadmaps have safety built in;
- cultivating partnerships with Product and T&S policy teams to further expand product policies and strengthen flows of communication and dialogue;
- collaborating cross-functionally with our Legal, Public Policy, and Communications teams on product launches;
- building a growing team of direct reports (Product Trust Partners) through diligent hiring, direct mentoring, and a comprehensive staff development plan;
- overseeing the team’s performance and eliminating blockers that may prevent PT Partners from providing timely, relevant input to product, policy, or process design;
- supporting team members in crafting win-win alternatives that maximize product functionality and customer trust;
- guiding PT Partners in effectively communicating with other T&S teams to determine the impact a feature or product has on T&S policies, procedures, systems, and staffing and ensuring our partners implement required process and system changes prior to product launch;
- continuously developing and improving the standards, templates, and checklists that guide PT work, along with formalizing the performance measures used to assess the work of PT Partners.
You will report directly to Del Harvey, VP of Trust & Safety.
Who You Are
You care. You believe Twitter should obsess about T&S issues so the people who use Twitter won’t have to. Your curiosity drives you to understand the impact that product changes may have on Twitter’s diverse customer base and makes you a natural advocate for their needs.
- You are a strategic thinker and valued collaborator; you are just as comfortable strategizing and leading as you are diving into the details of PT work when circumstances require it.
- You facilitate critical conversations with ease; you have no trouble working with and juggling the (at times) competing priorities of multiple teams operating in different countries.
- You approach problems with multiple solutions in mind, and quickly pivot when needed to better account for newly-discovered data and insight.
- You have an entrepreneurial mindset and are flexible, self-motivated, dedicated, and hard-working. You actively recognize needs, resolve problems, anticipate issues, and develop solutions.
- You build and cultivate healthy relationships with partners and keep teammates informed and engaged. You customize your communication style based on your audience and easily switch between verbal and written communication as needed.
- You are open to international travel and have an appreciation and respect for the norms of cultures other than your own.
- 10+ years of experience driving and implementing policy, process redesign, project/program management, or management consulting
- 8+ years of experience leading teams, preferably in multi-site organizations. Bonus: Has held leadership roles that require extensive collaboration with third parties, partners, and teams whose short-term priorities may not be aligned with yours.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; excels at providing balanced, actionable feedback to influence decision-making without direct managerial authority.
- Strong process modeling and problem-solving capabilities. Able to document and analyze the flow of information between systems, quickly grasps how product settings and features interact to impact customer experience, and promptly propose elegant, creative solutions to address product and customer needs.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills; able to express complex issues using clear, customer-focused language that is tailored to the intended audience.
- Experience working with quantitative and qualitative data, including research findings, to support recommendations.
- Sound business judgment and critical thinking skills
- Familiarity with privacy and online safety issues or previous experience with Trust & Safety a plus.
- Experience working on products that have a multi-regional or global impact a plus.
This is a full-time position; telecommuting is not currently an option.
Note: Potential exposure to sensitive or graphic content, including but not limited to vulgar language, violent threats, pornography, and other graphic images.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
After you apply, a recruiter may reach out to you for an introductory call.
If your background is a match for the role, you may phone interview with 1-2 people.
If you continue through the process, you will come onsite 1-2 times to interview with a total of 5-10 people.