Director of Product, International
Twitter, Inc. (NYSE: TWTR) is the best and fastest place to see what’s happening and what people are talking about all around the world. From breaking news and entertainment to sports and politics, from big events to everyday interests. If it’s happening anywhere, it’s happening first on Twitter. Twitter is where the full story unfolds with all the live commentary and where live events come to life unlike anywhere else. Twitter is available in more than 40 languages around the world. The service can be accessed at Twitter.com and on a variety of mobile devices. For more information, visit about.twitter.com
- Founded in 2006
- Headquarters in San Francisco, CA
- Revenue in 2017: $2.4B
- 326M Monthly Active Users (MAU)
- 70% of users are international
- 3800 employees globally
Twitter seeks a Director of Product for International. Twitter’s purpose is to serve the public conversation, and our top priority is fostering thriving, healthy, global conversation on the service. The focus of this role & team is on making that conversation global. People come to Twitter to see and talk about what’s happening in the world, and we want them to be able to do to so from anywhere, on any device, and in whatever languages they speak. It’s that global conversation that does everything from keeping people up-to-date on the latest cricket match to fostering world-changing movements like #MeToo. As product lead for International (one of our top company initiatives) you will report to our Vice President of Product, and will coordinate and lead our efforts to make Twitter work for everyone around the world. There’s a lot to be done to achieve this — from performance work to improve the speed and data usage, to ensuring people are easily able to find locally-relevant conversations in the languages they speak, to ultimately enabling cross-language, cross-geography conversations.
You will lead and manage PMs and collaborate with Engineers, Designers, Researchers and our Business and Legal teams to deeply understand customer needs in different regional markets, and ultimately deliver significant changes to the Twitter product to serve those customers. You will be the voice of the customer for diverse countries, cultures, and customer needs. You will be focused on working with local and global teams on delivering product solutions that drive the highest impact for the customer. Success in this role means an increase in the number of people around the world who are enthusiastically choosing Twitter to see and talk about what’s happening in the world and where they live. Moreover, as a senior product leader at the company, we’ll be looking to you not just to deliver a great product for the people who use Twitter, but also to serve as a facilitator for your team who can multiply the effects of all the individuals on it, and to help us build a stronger, better company along the way.
Skills and Experience
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience building and shipping a variety of consumer products at global scale, with a consistent track record of advocacy for customers, a particular passion for understanding international customers and diverse markets, and a love for forming strong teams. And: a willingness and enthusiasm to regularly travel internationally.
You might be the ideal candidate if:
- You have a strong history delivering consumer products (8+ years) and a deep understanding of product design.
- You’ve built products for global markets, specifically having set strategy and roadmaps to make products work for customers in countries around the world.
- You have experience building understanding of and empathy for customers whose daily life, circumstances and needs might be very different than your own.
- You enjoy rallying a cross-functional team to deliver ambitious goals, including enjoying rallying and coordinating with partners’ whose roadmaps and priorities you don’t directly shape, but can influence to produce great outcomes.
- You have worked at a global consumer-focused social media, community, or other technology company where you have led a team of PMs for at least 2 years.
- You are dedicated to keeping the customer at the center of all product and design decisions, thus improving the overall customer experience.
- You have solid understanding of engineering and technical depth that lets you understand and earn the respect of best-in-class engineers.
- Strong quantitative background to support data-informed decision-making.
- You have experience working with designers to create useful, usable, beautiful, delightful products.
- You have experience partnering with research throughout product development and incorporating insights and evidence into product decisions.
- You have excellent communication skills and excel at translating customer problems & ideas into product requirements.
- You are passionate and enthusiastic about encouraging the flow of ideas from all levels of your team.
- You facilitate thoughtful and constructive conversations between members of your team, as well as with other members of leadership.
- You are invested in the overall health and success of Twitter as a company, and know when to balance the needs of your team and the needs of the general business.
- You receive feedback openly and graciously, and deliver feedback to your team or other stakeholders in ways that are respectful and actionable.
- You are accountable and communicative when it comes to meeting deadlines and ship dates.
- You have strong relationship building and team development skills.
- You are able to balance competing priorities and deliver results in a timely manner.
- You enjoy making difficult things happen, and solving the many challenges along the way.
- You have extraordinary communication and writing skills.
- You are patient, determined, flexible, and open-minded.
- You have unimpeachable ethics and excellent judgment.
- Experience regarding freedom of expression issues preferred.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
After you apply, a recruiter may reach out to you for an introductory call.
If your background is a match for the role, you may phone interview with 1-2 people.
If you continue through the process, you will come onsite 1-2 times to interview with a total of 5-10 people.