Hardware Systems Engineer - Performance
Do you love high performance hardware? Do you enjoy the challenges of designing and integrating hardware into a complex software stack? Are you ready to help us build the most efficient fleet of servers by joining the team responsible for scaling Twitter's hardware platform?
Who are we:
Our mission is to provide efficient, high performance and reliable servers for Twitter's data centers. We work with engineering teams to define future generations of infrastructure. We design, deploy, test, and maintain Twitter's server fleet and we are looking to take our team to the next level.
What You’ll Do:
You'll help to establish a hardware performance optimization pipeline at Twitter. You will help design and validate the large scale systems that power our global platform. You collaborate with internal teams to drive hardware performance testing across multiple Twitter services. You’ll investigate new products and technology to drive the latest advancements into our infrastructure. You’ll understand the full infrastructure stack here at Twitter, and you’ll focus on optimizations for Twitter’s hardware platforms.
Who You are:
You're excited to create datacenter infrastructure, and have been looking for the next challenge in your career. You have strong opinions about performance testing and are extremely knowledgeable in datacenter hardware. You are an expert in Linux, including the experience to build and deploy drivers and software packages. You like building tools and automating tests. You want to drive the organizational changes necessary to adopt the latest technology and optimize current systems.
- Work with hardware engineering on performance testing of current and future hardware.
- Establish processes, training and readily useable tooling for hardware performance analysis within Twitter’s infrastructure.
- Collaborate regularly with internal product teams to understand requirements and advise on optimal hardware solutions.
- Drive automation of performance testing frameworks.
- Be able to work with other specialists to define, develop, and improve performance testing processes company wide.
- Debug performance problems and drive corrective actions of performance problems found in Linux kernels, drivers, BIOS and BMC firmware.
- Investigate opportunities to drive improvements within Twitter’s infrastructure stack.
- Cross-train with other systems engineers to understand the end-to-end hardware stack.
- Technical Degree (BS Computer Science) or equivalent.
- 7+ years professional experience in software and system engineering.
- Experience in delivering large-scale system software development products. Deep understanding of OS concepts and internals with Linux, UNIX, and Centos/Redhat.
- Performance testing of CPUs, Network Cards, Storage Devices & more.
- An understanding of HW architectures of x86 servers & sub-systems.
- Working knowledge of BIOS, BMCs, UEFI and PXE boot
- Experience in scripting, specifically Python and bash
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants:
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.
We're the People Team @Twitter. We're hiring service, purpose-driven people who are creative and move fast. #LoveWhereYouWork #JoinTheFlock
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!