Engineering Manager - Traffic
Who We Are:
The traffic team provides infrastructure to enable fast and reliable access to Twitter from everyone, everywhere. Our job of driving the next generation Twitter traffic control directly impacts the lives of our users, their trust in our platform, and the success of our business. As a software engineer on our team, you will face some of the most difficult challenges in modern software engineering. You will work on some of the world’s most highly-scaled distributed systems. Our services serve millions of requests per second, while meeting stringent availability requirements. You and our engineering team will provide the link between Twitter and the world for all traffic relied on every day by hundreds of millions of people.
What You’ll Do:
As engineering manager, you will lead the careers of highly motivated and wonderful software developers. As part of the team, join with hardworking engineers on critical performance and scalability initiatives. We collaborate to bring out the best in each other. The services your team crafts and operates will play a key role in Twitter user trust, satisfaction, and growth. Existing customers will immediately benefit from this work, and many more new customers worldwide will follow. Inside Twitter, your work will empower dozens of engineering teams, and hundreds of co-workers. Externally, you will empower people to connect and communicate.
- You will diagnose, and tackle complex distributed problems and establish resolutions that have fundamental impact at our massive scale. You will gain expertise in the ideas, software, network, traffic management and micro services to
- Define and deliver scalable services at Twitter
- Build and maintain high-performance, fault-tolerant, and scalable distributed systems
- Diagnose and solve complex problems in distributed systems and develop solutions that have a significant impact at Twitter’s massive scale
- Improve the reliability and efficiency of our services and eliminate vulnerabilities before they are discovered.
- Partner closely with other engineering teams and project managers
Who You Are:
You are passionate about building teams and developing careers. You take satisfaction in redefining the limits of scale and performance. You care about customer trust and safety. You seek to continually improve through experimentation and measurement. You know how to align personal and business priorities.
Ideally, you have experience with:
- Setting and measuring strategic goals
- Defining a long-term strategic roadmap
- Leading a geographically distributed engineering team
- Distributed systems, performance analysis, network protocols, and web infrastructure
- Developing and operating large scale distributed systems with high availability
- Development experience on the JVM, including asynchronous I/O, concurrency, and the Java memory model
- Minimum of 2 years in engineering management
- BS, MS, or Ph.D. in computer science or a related field, or equivalent work experience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Minimal travel required (2-4 weeks per year)
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.
We're the People Team @Twitter. We're hiring service, purpose-driven people who are creative and move fast. #LoveWhereYouWork #JoinTheFlock
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!