Director Strategy & Operations, Platform
Twitter is looking for an exceptional and highly technical strategy & operations leader to lead our platform strategy & operations team. Twitter’s user-facing products and services rely on a significant amount of internal platform—storage and serving systems, analytics platforms, observability tools, data center utilization optimization, and more. These are products just like our iOS and Android apps are; it’s just that all the customers happen to be developers and teams at Twitter.
In this role, you will work very closely with engineering and product leadership, to help create & communicate the strategy of the Platform org, and create the conditions for the org to run more effectively to deliver on the strategy. Success in this role means Platform org’s objectives and key results are met, which results in happier and productive internal customers, and infrastructure that allows us to build the next set of experiences that define Twitter’s products and services.
What You’ll Do
- Reporting to the lead of Product Strategy and Operations, you will be the lead person dedicated on the Platform org working closely with the Platform Engineering & Platform Product leadership.
- Manage a small group of highly talented S&O team members who are working on various initiatives for the Platform org.
- Set annual and quarterly OKRs (Objective & Key Results) for our Platform efforts.
- Run all quarterly and annual planning processes including all offsites and cross-functional leadership gatherings.
- Identify cross-functional dependencies, prioritize resource investment and drive organizational focus.
- Track progress through setting up the right cadences and report progress against OKRs to teams, cross-functional stakeholders, Twitter leadership and the Board.
- Work with a large number of cross-functional stakeholders such as Engineering, Product, Finance, etc.
- Run strategic initiatives, putting in place strong project controls for high quality and timely delivery.
- Comfortable seeking shaping solutions to nebulous and complex problems and drive alignment with a large number of teams, but not get drowned in consensus driven decision making.
- Deal with escalations that are at times high profile in nature, often in the public eye, demanding executive attention, but remain calm and level headed to bring about quick resolution.
- Identify root cause and troubleshoot people, process, technology issues that constrain teams from making progress and be “hands on” in facilitating the required conversations and be a trusted advisor to leadership on changes that are needed.
- Think systematically in putting in place processes that can scale and sustain a large cross-functional organization.
- Draw insights from qualitative and quantitative analysis, synthesize summaries and make recommendations.
- Create compelling presentations to effectively communicate complex issues to the executive team and to external stakeholders.
Who You Are:
At Twitter, we believe that passion and personality matter. We are seeking someone who is passionate about the Platform space. You will be counted on as the trusted advisor to the Platform leadership organization and a driving force, who can roll your sleeves up to do whatever it takes to make progress towards Twitter’s Platform objectives. We’re looking for a veteran who are intensely passionate about technology, exhibit a can-do attitude and approach their work with vigor, determination and a sense of fun. You should have demonstrated the ability to learn quickly and work effectively in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment and deal with the stresses and tensions of a high profile area. Understands how to work directly with the large number of cross functional stakeholders and can take differing perspectives and take teams towards a unifying direction.
- 10+ years relevant work experience
- Confident in technical conversations with Software Engineering and Product teams
- Bachelor's degree or Master’s Degree
- Strong understanding of the Software Development Life Cycle
- Analytical thinker and structured problem solver
- Comfortable to work in ambiguity with a bent towards fast execution and iteration.
- Project management mindset on task execution
- Experience in industry or in management consulting in approach to identify and build business strategy
- Facilitation experience and the ability to lead programs such as strategy planning sessions
- Experience working across multiple functions/ business units, influencing and collaborating with others to successfully implement programs
A former Engineer or Product leader who has experience in Platform or infrastructure space e.g. Compute, Storage, Data Processing, Networking, commodity IT services and cloud technologies.
Experience in Social platform space, in an industry or management consulting role, with MBA is a big plus.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
After you apply, a recruiter may reach out to you for an introductory call.
If your background is a match for the role, you may phone interview with 1-2 people.
If you continue through the process, you will come onsite 1-2 times to interview with a total of 5-10 people.
We're the People Team @Twitter. We're hiring service, purpose-driven people who are creative and move fast. #LoveWhereYouWork #JoinTheFlock
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!