Backend Engineer - Traffic
Come be part of a community of hardworking, forward-thinking engineers who develop software to make Twitter faster, reliable, and available to customers worldwide.
Who We Are:
The Traffic team provides infrastructure to enable fast and reliable access to Twitter from everyone, everywhere. Our job of driving the next generation Twitter traffic control directly impacts the lives of our users, their trust in our platform, and the success of our business. As a software engineer on our team, you will face some of the most difficult challenges in modern software engineering. You will work on some of the world’s most highly-scaled distributed systems. Our services serve millions of requests per second, while meeting stringent availability requirements. You and our engineering team will provide the link between Twitter and the world for all traffic relied on every day by hundreds of millions of people.
What You’ll Do:
As a developer, you will engage with highly motivated and wonderful software developers, data scientists, network architects, and client engineers. As part of the team, join with hardworking engineers on enhancing Twitter’s Edge initiatives. You will have ample opportunities to both learn, teach, and grow. You will be expected to lead some efforts while offering support for others. We collaborate to bring out the best in each other. You will make critical decisions, write designs and code that
- Improves latency as perceived by our customers
- Enhances Twitter reach around the world
- Intelligently routes traffic to/from Twitter
The services you create and operate will play a key role in Twitter user satisfaction and growth. Existing customers will immediately benefit from this work, and many more new customers worldwide will follow. You will empower people to connect and communicate.
- You will diagnose, and tackle complex distributed problems and establish resolutions that have fundamental impact at our massive scale. You will gain expertise in the ideas, software, network, traffic management and micro services to
- Define and deliver scalable services at Twitter
- Build and maintain high-performance, fault-tolerant, and scalable distributed systems
- Diagnose and solve complex problems in distributed systems and develop solutions that have a significant impact at Twitter’s massive scale
- Improve the reliability and efficiency of our services and eliminate vulnerabilities before they are discovered.
Who You Are:
- Are passionate about building massively scalable systems.
- Want to deliver top tier services with impact worldwide.
- Want to challenge yourself, and to work with the best engineers in the industry.
- Have a growth mindset and the belief that your skills and abilities can be developed.
- Have a track record of taking on and delivering solutions to significant distributed systems problems.
- Ideally, you have experience with:
- Backend service development
- Network protocols
- IPv6, CDN, DNS
- Performance analysis
- Proxy servers
- Development on the JVM
- Asynchronous I/O
- Multi threading
- The Java memory model
- 2+ years experience developing and operating large scale distributed systems with high availability
- 2+ years experience with Java, Scala, and/or C++
- BS, MS, or PhD in computer science or a related field, or equivalent work experience
- Minimal travel required (2-4 weeks per year)
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.
We're the People Team @Twitter. We're hiring service, purpose-driven people who are creative and move fast. #LoveWhereYouWork #JoinTheFlock
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!