Engineering Manager, Site Reliability Engineering (Core Infrastructure Services)
Who We Are
Twitter’s Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) team owns the reliability, scalability, and performance of Twitter’s production environment.
SREs are Software and Systems Engineers who specialize in large-scale distributed systems, low-level systems, and associated automation, tooling, and processes. They possess a breadth and depth of knowledge about Twitter’s production environment that allows them to design and write software with appropriate operability, reliability, scalability, and performance considerations to reduce operational overhead.
SREs drive operational excellence across Twitter by enabling partner teams in Product and Infrastructure to up-level the health of their services in production, achieve desired reliability outcomes, and empowering them to self-serve in key areas of building, operating, and maintaining production services. This is achieved through strong partnerships and continuous collaboration with partner engineering teams in Product and Infrastructure.
We’re looking for a technical and industry-experienced engineering manager to join us and lead a team of talented engineers. The candidate must have experience building and operating production systems either as an engineer or a manager.
What You’ll Do
We believe passion and personality matter; as such, we need leaders that can manage diverse, smart, and driven engineers while balancing day to day people management with moving the business forward both technically and culturally.
As an Engineering Manager, you will lead a team of engineers who are working to keep Twitter reliable and scalable. Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Mentor, grow, and empower your team by giving them the skills, confidence and motivation to make decisions independently that lead to their personal and professional success, and enable them to become technical leaders.
- Help the individuals on your team to build and execute personal development plans that align with Twitter’s goals and objectives, and understand how their work fits into the bigger picture.
- Scale the team up by sourcing and hiring talented SREs both externally and internally.
- Manage SREs in Twitter offices around the world and remotely.
- Take an active role in driving and evolving the roadmap for the SRE Org, particularly in the area of infrastructure automation.
- Drive cross-team and cross-org alignment around reliability between Product and Infrastructure engineering teams.
- Partner with other Engineering Managers across Twitter to achieve reliability outcomes for their services.
- Participate in deep technical design discussions within your team, and across partner teams, and ensure that we're building the right systems and keeping the quality high.
Who You Are
- You have 5+ years of software support, reliability, or operations engineering experience in a highly customer-focused environment.
- You have 2+ years experience successfully managing a team of 5-8 engineers on large-scale projects that included technical deep-dives and production troubleshooting in the areas of: distributed systems, programming, configuration management, networking, storage, and operating systems.
- You have production experience with multiple cloud vendors
- You endorse infrastructure as code
- You have a proven track record of managing geographically distributed teams, ensuring all members are well integrated.
- You possess strong leadership skills and the ability to motivate teams.
- You will bring a strong perspective and collaborative partnership that drives change, and motivates engineers to develop simple solutions to complex operational or reliability challenges.
- You have experience formulating a team's technical strategy and roadmap, and you've collaborated and partnered effectively with several other teams.
- You can provide a strong technical vision for systems and infrastructure teams.
- You have experience building services and systems, have successfully taken projects from inception to production, and are comfortable diving in to provide leadership for major projects when needed.
- You are capable of leading a discussion with upper management, and are able to tailor the level of technical detail to suit your audience.
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.
We're the People Team @Twitter. We're hiring service, purpose-driven people who are creative and move fast. #LoveWhereYouWork #JoinTheFlock
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!