Software Engineer, Systems - Product Growth
Who We Are:
Twitter's Growth teams are dedicated to getting the majority of the world to converse in public using Twitter. We are comprised of many teams across the company, including Product, Engineering, Design, and Data Science. These teams are responsible for understanding the entire user lifecycle, with the goal of helping users discover the value of Twitter, and ultimately paving the way for user acquisition and top line growth.
This mission is to instantly connect people with the conversations and audiences most meaningful to them. Realizing this goal involves work in areas such as machine learning, applied data science, recommendation systems, and information retrieval systems.
Do you want to make a huge impact while working with large data sets at scale? If so, a Growth team is a good fit for you! These high-impact teams value creativity, critical thinking, and teamwork. The Growth teams are hiring Software Engineers in the following areas:
We're hiring for the following teams:
- Onboarding - Enabling new users to discover the value of Twitter.
- RUX: Reaching users outside of Twitter app with relevant content, bringing them back to Twitter and giving them a delightful experience that showcases the best of Twitter.
- Recommended Notifications - Finding and sending the most relevant content from Twitter to all users when the need to see it.
- Notifications Tab - Building the Command Center of Twitter. Users come here to catch up on what requires their most attention and find content to interact with.
A few things that set us apart:
- Our work is highly impactful, we drive a ton of key metrics for the company (think DAUs, MAUs & various key engagement metrics). We do so with a strong customer focus
- We are very much experiment driven and have several experiments in flight at any point of time
- We believe in team-centric development and working in collaboration. We love hanging out together whether it's for a brainstorming session or lunch or coffee
What You’ll Do:
As a software engineer at Twitter, you will help us build, scale and maintain these systems, all of which have a direct impact on the lives of our users and the success of our business.
Who You Are:
- You will build and maintain high-performance, distributed, scalable systems
- You will improve the reliability and efficiency of Twitter's core systems
- You have a strong sense of ownership, and a curiosity to understand how things work, even if they take you outside your area of expertise
- You will support Twitter’s internal APIs and user-facing products
- You will design, run and analyze experiments to help improve the Twitter product
- Code using Scala and Java
- Experience with backend infrastructure, distributed systems, performance analysis, and/or large-scale data processing
- Experience with standard software engineering methodology (e.g. unit testing, code reviews, design documentation). Strong algorithms and data structures background
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
Desired (not required):
- Experience with Hadoop or other MapReduce-based architectures
- Experience with Cassandra, Redis, Memcached, MySQL or other key value stores
- Experience with A/B Testing and product experimentation
- Contributions to the open-source community
Here’s all the legal good stuff: We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.
We're the People Team @Twitter. We're hiring service, purpose-driven people who are creative and move fast. #LoveWhereYouWork #JoinTheFlock
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!