Snr Compliance Counsel, Investigations and Trade Compliance
Are you an experienced compliance investigations counsel who would love to lead a global program? Do you also have international trade and sanctions compliance experience ? If so, please read on.
Who We Are
Twitter is looking for an experienced candidate who can lead our global internal investigations and also own our International Trade Compliance programs. This position provides the opportunity to shape and drive two key programs within our overall compliance framework and function.
What You’ll Do
You will be responsible for day-to-day management and oversight of our global investigations (focusing on allegations that involve a potential violation of our Code of Conduct, related company policies, procedures, standards and related external rules & regulations). You will also lead our global trade compliance program, providing advice, oversight, and governance on a wide range of complex legal and business issues related to sanctions and export controls. You will report to the Senior Legal Director for Compliance, who leads the global Compliance program.
You’ll work closely with Compliance and Legal team colleagues, Employee Relations and other control and support functions, as well as with business leaders across the organization. You'll also be responsible for continuing to develop the compliance culture and embed integrity and compliance initiatives as our company grows.
Who You Are:
We're looking for an accomplished professional who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with broad responsibilities, including:
- Oversee, conduct and coordinate internal investigations into allegations of violations of the Code of Conduct and associated policies or law, overseen by the Chief Legal Officer and Senior Legal Director, Compliance
- Providing practical, timely, high quality review, resolution and reporting of investigations
- Advising on corrective and preventative measures based on root cause analyses from investigations, specifically risk-based business enhancements and mitigation strategies, including identification of training needs
- Partnering with Internal Audit, Human Resources, Legal, Corporate Security, Information Security, and other teams involved in cross-functional and / or regional investigations
- Work collaboratively with a broad range of people throughout the wider organization to develop strong working relationships and facilitate a partnering-based approach
- Proactively identifying potential risk areas arising from internal investigations and support reporting to executive and senior management
- Maintaining and enhancing the operations, procedures, processes and internal practical guidance governing legal-directed investigations in line with international (and local, as applicable) laws and best practices. Ensure consistent use of best practices and a high standard of professionalism and independence
- Leading the development of internal investigation training for key investigation stakeholders and regional colleagues
- Prepare, oversee and manage budgets, including management of third-party vendor fees, consistent with reviewed and approved budgets
International Trade Compliance Program
- Lead Twitter’s trade compliance program (covering sanctions and export controls), including policy and process development, risk assessments, education and communication, monitoring and auditing and screening activities in compliance with applicable laws and regulations
- Develop and implement trade compliance training plan, working in close coordination and collaboration with other members of the Compliance team, to support awareness and drive appropriate behaviors across all levels of the enterprise.
- Provide effective, practical, and timely Trade Compliance legal advice and guidance
- Partner with relevant functions to operationalize the policies and principles to ensure compliance with applicable law
- Conduct periodic assessment of risks associated with trade compliance, including development and oversight of implementation of any control enhancements or remediation
- Conduct program focused due diligence for new business opportunities and acquisitions
- Counsel and actively participate in any internal development projects that could have impact on program compliance
- Ensure the Compliance team and key stakeholders are advised on key updates and associated risks arising from regulatory and trade related developments
- 5+ years (though more is welcome) of compliance investigations experience (at least two years of in house experience preferred);
- Substantive expertise in global trade compliance, with strong knowledge of sanctions and export controls laws and regulations and elements of an effective trade compliance program;
- Experience in building, managing, enhancing and implementing an effective compliance program;
- Demonstrated sound business and legal judgment, with a constructive approach to issue resolution;
- Unquestionable integrity;
- Outstanding judgment and discretion on confidential and sensitive matters
- Forward-thinking and strategic, looking not only at what will work now, but what will work 3 or 5 or more years from now;
- Adaptability necessary to work effectively on sometimes ambiguous issues with multiple possible outcomes and in a changing global environment;
- Entrepreneurial mindset: flexible, self-starting and hard-working, generating new and innovative solutions as we build out the Compliance program;
- Strong project management and organizational skills and ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously;
- Outstanding, oral, written and presentation communication skills,
- Strong influencing skills as well as excellent collaboration skills to engage with global high performance teams and colleagues in different functions and at different levels in the company;
- Willing and able to travel to Twitter offices if needed, though travel is not expected to be a significant part of the role;
- Law degree (e.g. JD or equivalent) and qualification to practice law required.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
After you apply, a recruiter may reach out to you for an introductory call.
If your background is a match for the role, you may phone interview with 1-2 people.
If you continue through the process, you will come onsite 1-2 times to interview with a total of 5-10 people.
We're the People Team @Twitter. We're hiring service, purpose-driven people who are creative and move fast. #LoveWhereYouWork #JoinTheFlock
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!