Server Mechanical / Manufacturing Engineer
It takes a lot of servers to run Twitter. Come join our Hardware Engineering team, and help build our efficient fleet of servers.
Who are We:
Twitter’s Hardware Engineering team is looking for a mechanical / manufacturing engineer to contribute to mechanical development and increase the manufacturing quality of our server and rack builds. Our mission is to design and deliver the hardware that runs Twitter, and to make sure we keep our data centers efficient.
What You'll do:
As a Mechanical Engineer you will collaborate with our Engineering teams to find hardware solutions to Twitter's infrastructure demands. You will interact with OEMs/ODMs/CMs/System Integrators, and develop novel solutions. As a Manufacturing engineer you will ensure the quality of systems through the server lifecycle and product builds.
Who You Are:
You like building data center infrastructure, and have been looking for the next challenge in your career. You will join a team responsible for scaling Twitter's compute infrastructure. You should have strong opinions about how to design, test, and qualify server mechanical systems and components. You should be familiar with industry standard hardware build and manufacturing processes. We expect you can work with internal groups to drive our vendors to meet their contractual commitments, and identify any gaps in our server and rack manufacturing process.
- Help our team of engineers and/or server ODM/OEM partners to develop and support purpose built servers, with emphasis on a mechanical design and validation.
- You will collaborate regularly with internal product teams to understand requirements, cost-optimize solutions, and cultivate product knowledge.
- You will generate and review validation plans, oversee execution and test reports for mechanical and manufacturing activities.
- Investigate, triage, and debug mechanical issues.
- You should be able to work with server integrators to define, develop, and improve manufacturing test scripts.
- Provide feedback to manufacturing vendors to improve tests to catch problems before servers are delivered to the data centers.
- Support qualification manufacturing lines to support new platform builds, and provide DFM inputs
- You will perform audits and qualification of ODM/supplier manufacturing sites, as needed
- You will review factory processes for opportunities in TCO reduction
- You will execute on manufacturing and development processes to handle issues that have direct impact to cost, quality + delivery of server and power management products.
- Identify manufacturability issues during engineering builds to ensure established product quality. Monitor yield improvements, cycle time reduction, process related cost reductions, etc. at ODM
- Develop internal procedures (Stop ship, Audit etc) and validate procedures at ODM. Handle SCARs and quality excursions
- Evaluate and improve product quality and reliability performance using techniques such as HALT and ORT
- You will coordinate development of server manufacturing tests, and monitor its implementation. Standardize manufacturing test procedures across ODMs
- Develop business and manufacturing requirements into vendor RFQs, and lead strategic negotiations with vendors.
- 6+ years combined mechanical / manufacturing experience
- Technical degree (BSME, BSEE, BSIE) or equivalent.
- Strong knowledge of manufacturing processes
- Strong knowledge of mechanical engineering processes
- Server, Storage and Ship-in-rack experience strongly desired
- OEM/ODM/CM manufacturing technology experience
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills
- Strong verbal and written communications
- A detail oriented and balanced applicant who can handle rapid execution in a dynamic environment.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants:
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.
We're the People Team @Twitter. We're hiring service, purpose-driven people who are creative and move fast. All things Twitter Careers! #LoveWhereYouWork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!