Manager- Data Science
Data Science Manager
San Francisco, CA
Who We Are: Twitter is the infrastructure of the world’s public conversation. Events break on Twitter, from massive and world-changing to the local data science meet-up. Users exchange and shape their thoughts by forming communities with shared interests.
The Consumer Data Science Organization works closely with our partners in Consumer Engineering, Product, and Twitter’s leadership to understand user behavior, inform product decisions and influence the company strategy.
What You’ll Do: You will manage multiple teams of talented data science managers, tech leads, and individuals. You will be looked upon to lead team roadmaps, present to executives, drive the career development of your team members, and influence all facets of the company’s product and data science strategies. As part of our company's data science leadership, you will also be responsible for improving the culture of our organization, attracting extraordinary data science talent, and elevating the role of data science in the company.
Who You Are: You are an experienced manager of managers and tech leads, or a manager of multiple teams with directly relevant domain expertise. As a data scientist leader, you are comfortable owning important and complex project areas from start to finish. You influence entire organizations with the work you do. That work includes defining technical roadmaps and driving alignment with less technical partners.
You are highly technical and hands-on but you also wear product and project management hats with ease ensuring the success and impact of your work across domains. You care deeply about the growth and well-being of your team and coworkers and bring a servant leadership mentality to every challenge you face.
You are great at:
- Understanding consumer products
- Collaborating with PMs, engineers, and designers to drive product impact
- Leading and prioritizing projects
- Coaching people managers
- Mentoring senior data scientists
- You are a strong data science or machine learning leader with 5+ years of people management experience
- 2+ years managing tech leads, and/or people managers and/or ICs (Individual Contributor's) in a data science setting
- Expertise directing efforts to solve complex and highly impactful quantitative problems.
Any of the following is a plus:
- A Ph.D. or advanced degree in a quantitative field
- Domain expertise dealing with:
- Content ranking and relevance
- Online discussion and conversation dynamics
- Complex networks analysis
- Quantitative social science
- Work experience at a large tech company
- Experience performing data science at scale with technologies such as Spark and Hive
- Fluency in one or more object-oriented languages like Java, Scala, C#, C++
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
After you apply, a recruiter may reach out to you for an introductory call.
If your background is a match for the role, you may phone interview with 1-2 people.
If you continue through the process, you will come onsite 1-2 times to interview with a total of 5-10 people.
We're the People Team @Twitter. We're hiring service, purpose-driven people who are creative and move fast. #LoveWhereYouWork #JoinTheFlock
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!