Software Engineer (iOS) - Direct Messages
Who We Are
The Direct Messaging client team works on the code behind the Direct Messages tab in the Twitter iOS app. Our work is an integral part of Twitter’s conversational product vision and directly impacts the lives of our users and success of our business. We’re responsible for building a private messaging experience that is performant, simple, and fun. Our product enables Twitter users to discuss and converse with strangers and friends in a safe and secure space.
We are a collaborative and cross-disciplinary product development team. As an iOS engineer, you will work closely product managers, designers, user researchers, data scientists, and the engineers that support the developer platform and infrastructure for private messaging to build the client components that drive Direct Messaging for Twitter.
A few things that sets us apart:
- We have strong customer focus - you’ll be able to connect directly with customers who are using our products, and use their guidance to make meaningful improvements.
- We ship - we're huge fans of build/measure/learn with a weekly cadence.
- Team-centric development - we are strong believers of limiting our work-in-progress and bias towards working collaboratively.
- We love hanging out together - we have team coffee and lunch - and believe that it's important for us to have a team where everyone has a voice, and enjoys their day.
- We value software quality and technical growth - your code will run on millions of devices every single day, so it needs to be stable, performant, and trustworthy.
Intrigued? Great! We’re looking for engineers who are ready to push their limits, and have a material impact on Twitter’s growth and success.
What You’ll Do
- Use your in-depth knowledge of iOS to craft compelling new features
- Participate in our learning culture, embracing opportunities to learn from Twitter’s community of iOS engineers, as well as teach others your strengths.
- Develop strong skills and best practices on the team through participation in coding, technical design, code reviews, and shipping features.
- Take an active role in team processes and product decisions. From using data and customer insight to help prioritize, to end-to-end ownership of a feature, you’ll do more than just write code.
Who You Are
You’re an experienced mobile engineer looking to make Twitter for iOS one of the best mobile experiences out there. You're someone who excels at user-centric product development and has a real passion for making beautiful, smooth, delightful mobile experiences.
- You are customer-focused, and understand that shipping impactful software involves trade-offs, and collaboration.
- You want to apply your knowledge of iOS to work on a small team whose work impacts millions of users every day.
- You get stuff done, and thrive in a collaborative environment that allows you to interact effectively with others.
- You have a strong sense of ownership, and a curiosity to understand how things work, even if they take you outside your area of expertise.
- You have experience with, and enjoy building, new products and features, and enjoy working with product managers and designers.
- You are familiar with standard software engineering methodology, e.g. unit testing, code reviews, design documentation.
- You bring thoughtful perspectives, empathy, creativity, and a positive attitude to tackle problems at scale.
- You have empathy for your users and are interested in understanding the human impact of your work across all cultures and walks of life.
Here’s all the legal good stuff:
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.
We're the People Team @Twitter. We're hiring service, purpose-driven people who are creative and move fast. #LoveWhereYouWork #JoinTheFlock
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!