Backend Engineer - Geo - Boulder
Who We Are
The Geo team maintains ownership of our notion of user’s locations, points of interest, and places at Twitter. We work with large datasets and high traffic systems while protecting our user’s privacy.
Our Backend and Systems Engineers builds tools to automate and simplify our current Geo operations, including ingestion pipelines, location calculations, and other user facing improvements to our Geo systems.
We care deeply about:
- Engineering excellence such as good design abstractions, API stability, best practices and pragmatic testing
- Incremental approach to providing customer value
- Removing technical debt and finding ways to improve an existing system while managing risk
What You'll Do
If this sounds like a team you want to be part of, great! We are looking for engineers who love writing code, have a desire to learn new technologies, thrive on teamwork and are committed to serving their customers and users.
Your Responsibilities will Include:
- Designing elegant abstractions, shareable libraries, and robust APIs.
- Actively looking for ways to improve the end-to-end experience for developers working on our systems.
- Integrating with Twitter’s serving, cloud and data infrastructure
- Working closely with engineers and stakeholders across the company.
- Shaping the direction of our tools and product portfolio.
Who You Are
- You thrive on working in concert with other smart people, including from distributed offices.
- You communicate fluidly, at the level of your audience, and seek to understand and being understood.
- You have the ability to take on complex problems, learn quickly, iterate, and persist towards a great solution.
- You are adamant about studying customer needs and enabling their success through our products.
- You take pride in polishing and supporting our products.
- You value relentlessly improving an existing system
- You welcome feedback on are constantly looking for ways to improve yourself and grow your career and skills.
- You have a sound grasp on OOP concepts, data structures and algorithms.
- You have a disciplined approach to writing unit and integration tests.
- You are rigorous in software design life cycle best practices (design docs, code reviews, support, Sprint planning, Agile methodologies).
- You have a proven understanding of distributed computing architectures.
- You easily articulate complex concepts in writing and speech.
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- You’re no stranger to microservices.
Nice to Have:
- Experience protecting user’s privacy
- You have working knowledge of Java or Scala.
- You have operational knowledge of relational and non-relational databases (e.g. MySQL/Postgres and Cassandra/ElasticSearch).
- Familiarity with geographic representations in computing
- Extensive MapReduce and/or Hadoop experience
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.
We're the People Team @Twitter. We're hiring service, purpose-driven people who are creative and move fast. #LoveWhereYouWork #JoinTheFlock
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!