Software Engineer, Systems - Growth Teams
Who We Are:
Twitter's Growth teams are dedicated to getting the majority of the world to converse in public using Twitter. We are comprised of many teams across the company, including Product, Engineering, Design, and Data Science. These teams are responsible for understanding the entire user lifecycle, with the goal of helping users discover the value of Twitter, and ultimately paving the way for user acquisition and top line growth.
This mission is to instantly connect people with the conversations and audiences most meaningful to them. Realizing this goal involves work in areas such as machine learning, applied data science, recommendation systems, and information retrieval systems.
Do you want to make a huge impact while working with large data sets at scale? If so, a Growth team is a good fit for you! These high-impact teams value creativity, critical thinking, and teamwork. Consumer growth teams are hiring Software Engineers in the following areas:
We're hiring for the following teams:
- Onboarding - Enabling new users to discover the value of Twitter.
- Email Recommendations - Detecting the pulse of conversations on Twitter while surfacing the most relevant Events & Topics to users, based on real-time engagement on the platform.
- Notifications - We play a pivotal role in keeping our users informed. We do this by building a platform that processes all of Twitter events to generate relevant user notifications, makes it easy for our partner teams to add new notifications, and deliver notifications to our users in real time at Twitter scale
What You’ll Do:
As a software engineer at Twitter, you will help us build, scale and maintain these systems, all of which have a direct impact on the lives of our users and the success of our business.
Who You Are:
- You will build and maintain high-performance, distributed, scalable systems
- You will improve the reliability and efficiency of Twitter's core systems
- You will support Twitter’s internal APIs and user-facing products
- You will design, run and analyze experiments to help improve the Twitter product
- Code using Scala and Java
- Experience with backend infrastructure, distributed systems, performance analysis, and/or large-scale data processing
- Experience with standard software engineering methodology (e.g. unit testing, code reviews, design documentation). Strong algorithms and data structures background
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
Desired (not required):
- Experience with Hadoop or other MapReduce-based architectures
- Experience with Cassandra, Redis, Memcached or MySQL
- Contributions to the open-source community
Here’s all the legal good stuff: We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.
We're the People Team @Twitter. We're hiring service, purpose-driven people who are creative and move fast. All things Twitter Careers! #LoveWhereYouWork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!