Senior Python Software Engineer - Capacity Engineering
Who we are:
The Capacity Planning team at Twitter is tasked with the development of services, automation and processes to improve the reliability and efficiency of Twitter’s infrastructure and datacenters. The team is a key player on both operating the current state of hardware of planning at Twitter, as well as defining and implementing the tools and processes that will bring in millions of dollars in savings, increase developer and systems efficiency in one of the largest volume platforms on the planet.
What you’ll do:
You will be responsible for crafting and building tools to manage the hardware/system capacity planning and trends. You’ll be one of the main points of contact with platform teams, and your tools will be used to bring transparency into the operations of some of the biggest clusters, Hadoop, Mesos and database.
Your role includes designing scalable solutions that simplify the management and insights into Twitter's platform services, as well as ensure a high quality customer experience through usability and reliability.
Your role includes:
- Define and drive the development of Twitter’s capacity engine.
- Define vision and software roadmap for software capabilities including supply and demand forecasting, matching, resource ordering, and automated fulfillment.
- Collaborate with partners across the organization, including finance, to develop tools for planning.
- Develop and maintain Infrastructure Compute and Rack Demand Plan for major services in Twitter using growth modeling, utilization optimization & capacity management
- Drive capacity optimization efforts internally that improve fleet utilization or help DC planning.
- Develop and support ongoing and ad hoc analysis, reports and dashboards, and drive continuous improvement through automation
- Build data models that take different data inputs to create monthly, quarterly and yearly capacity plans.
- Deliver a monthly or quarterly Capacity Operational updates to internal partners based on growth, utilization, & other data-driven metrics
- Serve as the contact point for engineers needing guidance or design input.
- Participate in developing technical strategy for turning data into actionable insights
Who you are:
- 5+ years of professional experience in an Infrastructure Demand or Capacity Planning role or business operations role for a global technology company with substantial internet/cloud infrastructure.
- B.S. Degree in Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Econometrics, Computer Science, Operations Research, Engineering, MIS or closely related field
- Solid experience with capacity planning for large scale infrastructure and distributed systems, specially storage & compute with focus on supply chain forecasting, matching, resource ordering and fulfillment in a cloud environment.
- Experience with data modeling and data center Capacity Planning
- Solid understanding of internet infrastructure fundamentals such as colocation, networking, server hardware and telecommunications
- Experience with SQL, data modeling, data mining, and working with large-scale datasets
- Experience in leading large-scale data driven analytical projects
- An expert in handling changes in a fast paced environment with comfort, confidence & data-driven decisions
- Experience in system design and architect of large scale systems.
- Experience working on real-time analytics systems a plus.
- Solid Python coding skills.
Here’s all the legal good stuff: We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.
We're the People Team @Twitter. We're hiring service, purpose-driven people who are creative and move fast. #LoveWhereYouWork #JoinTheFlock
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!