Senior Public Policy Associate, Public Policy, Government, & Philanthropy
Twitter is a world-wide communications platform that is changing how people interact and communicate at home and at work. Public policy issues posed by the continuing spread of digital technology and web-based communications services now arise in regulatory bodies and legislatures around the world. As a Twitter Senior Public Policy Associate based in Brussels, this will be your opportunity to be part of this conversation and actively assist in the development and advocacy of public policy solutions to pressing high technology issues. This role will report to the Head of Public Policy Belgium based in Brussels.
- Support the work of the public policy team, including attending key cross-team meetings, preparing and taking meeting notes, developing and sending important updates to global Public Policy colleagues;
- Represent Public Policy in market with key external partners in government and civil society as well as with internal colleagues from other teams, including Safety Policy, Legal Policy, Policy Comms, and Partnerships, with respect to public policy issues in market.
- In concert with your manager, create, build, and maintain relationships with third-party organizations in the areas of safety, counter-terrorism, and disinformation, among other areas. Actively engage with such civil society entities, including members of the Trust & Safety Council;
- Develop content and conduct Twitter trainings for civil society entities regarding Twitter Safety Rules and Tools, NGO strategies, Media Literacy, Digital Citizenship, and counter-narratives;
- Support the work of the policy team around raising awareness of EU elections.
- Develop and convey timely updates to the global Public Policy team on top global agenda items;
- Develop and convey content, including talking points, narrative documents, and otherwise assist in the preparation of presentation materials for engagement with policymakers, regulators, and lawmakers.
- Provide front-line support on issues requiring engagement, solving problems and escalating to other internal colleagues as needed.
- Support @Policy’s #TwitterForGood strategies with respect to Internet Safety and Education, Civil Liberties, and Free Expression. Host meetings, events, and trainings regarding such initiatives in market, as appropriate.
Success in this role looks like this: While you may have started your Twitter experience learning additional technology policies of importance to Twitter and our users, you will have significantly enhanced your understanding and mastered many elements of such issues. You will have educated policymakers and regulators with respect to Twitter and built strong, respectful relationships. You will have helped to elevate Twitter’s public policy brand among key audiences to a high level. In doing so, you will have demonstrated personal initiative, comprehension, judgment, fortitude, and the ability to think tactically and strategically.
- University degree
- English language fluency, spoken and written; additional language fluency strongly preferred
- Experience in government, politics, or public policy with familiarity across all three disciplines
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills
- Reasonable fluency in social media and high technology
- A passion about the power of communications to change the world for the better
- Exquisite judgment and a sense of humour
After you apply, a recruiter may reach out to you for an introductory call.
If your background is a match for the role, you may phone interview with 1-2 people.
If you continue through the process, you will come onsite 1-2 times to interview with a total of 5-10 people.