Senior Backend Engineer - Media Understanding - London
Who We Are:
We are made up of talented people from all over the world, and from many different backgrounds. We work together in our beautiful Central London location to build products that reach every person on the planet. Often we’ll relax together too – perhaps sharing lunch or a coffee, talking about what we’re doing, listening to and learning from one another. You’ll be a part of a close-knit team, working in concert with a focused organisation comprised of other Engineers, Designers and Product Managers.
We’ll both challenge and support you to do the best work of your career. You’ll have the opportunity to have a truly global impact.
We will build applications for our users, partners, and team. Those applications can range from business-critical internal tools to the core architecture of twitter.com and our mobile website, with opportunities to work with a variety of languages and technologies
What You'll Do:
- As a Backend Engineer, you’ll develop services and applications building on Twitter’s vast data platform. You’ll develop high throughput Scala web and thrift services on Mesos containers. You’ll work with your team to create software which crunches through billions of data items across tens of thousands of CPU cores using a suite of data processing tools including Scalding, Storm and Summingbird. And you’ll be doing this to power one of the most high-profile applications: Twitter.
- Day-to-day, you’ll work closely with Product, Design, QA and other Engineers to understand users’ needs and refine solutions. You’ll create scalable software architectures, have them reviewed by your peers (and review your peers’ designs), implement, ship and maintain them.
What You Are:
- You’re looking to gain experience working as a member of an agile team on large scale service-based applications. You’ll have a rigorous approach, and learn to understand how to ship high quality, tested code, quickly, using software engineering (e.g. unit testing, code reviews, design documentation). You can demonstrate the ability to collaborate and iterate on software design.
- You’ll have an appreciation of solid understanding of object-oriented and functional programming, data structures and algorithms, strong experience with Java and preferably Scala.
- Most importantly you’ll display a desire and ability to learn new technologies quickly
- B.S. in computer science (or comparable)
- Three years or more of professional work experience
- Strong preference for JVM languages. Scala ideal. Fluency in Python, Java, Scala. You also want to learn Scala in greater depth.
- Solid foundation in data structures, algorithms and complexity analysis
- Some demonstrable experience designing modifications to existing systems or have prior ownership of a clean-design for a new system.
- Ideally experience of building services that experience high traffic loads is preferable. Knowing about load testing - and having load tested services before is a plus.
- Technically comfortable with the command line and Unix.
- Functional knowledge of distributed systems is useful - especially with regards to failure and state.
- Strong mathematical ability is valued. If you have an understanding of Data Scientist, this would be an amazing advantage to you in interview
- Happy and at your best working in a small, high-growth, and fast paced development environment
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.
We're the People Team @Twitter. We're hiring service, purpose-driven people who are creative and move fast. All things Twitter Careers! #LoveWhereYouWork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!