Senior Backend Engineer (Events Quality)
Would you like to build software for tens of millions of daily users? Come join a small team working on a big project.
What do we do?
When something happens -- a debate, a football match, a conference -- people turn to Twitter to see what the world is saying and maybe even say something back. The Events Quality team aims to make this easier via building and improving the Events experience. We take real world events and bring together the sharpest, funniest tweets, the best videos, the most up to date information and put it together in one place. We do this by building and running the backend infrastructure, services and systems that power Events, collaborating closely with the client engineering teams that craft the iOS, Android and web apps.
What are our values?
We are a team of teachers and also of learners. In addition to teaching and learning from each other, we also learn from our users. We are building a product that is meant to be a window into what is happening for the entire world, so we need to know our users: what they like, what they hate, what they use, what they never touch. Because this base of users is broad, and also because it is the right thing to do, we value having a diverse and inclusive team. We also know that rapid learning is important, so we value fast experimentation and iteration. However, we are conscious that getting things right, especially as we scale, is essential and so we are passionate about holding ourselves and our software to high standards across code, systems and product levels.
What You'll Do:
- Day-to-day, you’ll work closely with Product, Design, QA and engineers across the company to understand users’ needs and refine solutions. You’ll design scalable software architectures, have them reviewed by your peers (and review your peers’ designs), implement, ship and maintain them.
- As a Backend Engineer, you’ll architect and develop services and applications building on Twitter’s vast data platform. You’ll develop high throughput Scala web and thrift services on Mesos containers. You’ll create software which crunches through billions of data items across tens of thousands of CPU cores using a suite of data processing tools including Scalding, Storm and Summingbird. And you’ll be doing this to power one of the most high-profile applications: Twitter.
What You Have:
- Experience working as a member of an agile team on large scale service-based applications. You take a rigorous approach, and understand how to ship high quality, tested code, quickly, using software engineering (e.g. unit testing, code reviews, design documentation). You can demonstrate a clear architectural vision with the ability to collaborate and iterate on software design.
- A proven understanding of object-oriented and functional programming, data structures and algorithms.
- A desire and ability to learn new technologies quickly while building a platform our users will be passionate about.
- Strong foundation in data structures, algorithms and complexity analysis
- Some experience working with service oriented architectures, and distributed, scalable systems; you are familiar with patterns that help those systems stay performant and stable
- Technically comfortable with the command line and Unix.
- Functional knowledge of distributed systems is useful - especially with regards to failure and state.
- Happy and at your best working in a small, high-growth, and dynamic development environment
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.
We're the People Team @Twitter. We're hiring service, purpose-driven people who are creative and move fast. All things Twitter Careers! #LoveWhereYouWork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!