Linux System Engineer
Do you love building efficient fleets of high performance servers? Do you enjoy the challenges of designing and integrating hardware into a complex software stack? Are you ready to help us build the most efficient fleet of servers by joining the team responsible for scaling Twitter's hardware platform?
Who are we:
Our mission is to provide efficient, high performance and reliable servers for Twitter's data centers. We work with engineering teams to define future generations of infrastructure. We design, deploy, test, and maintain Twitter's server fleet and we are looking to take our team to the next level.
What You’ll Do:
You'll collaborate with internal teams and our server partners on new technology to meet our changing requirements. You will help design and validate the large scale systems that power our global platform. You will create solutions that handle the full lifecycle of servers, and you will work with the hardware design team to ensure reliability through system burn-in, hardware and software tests.
Who You are:
You're excited to create datacenter infrastructure, and have been looking for the next challenge in your career. You have strong opinions about how to test and qualify software, firmware, and server hardware components. You are an expert in Linux, including the experience to build and deploy drivers and software packages. You like building tools and automating tests. You understand overall system performance and want to collaborate with teams to optimize the entire stack.
- Work with hardware engineering to design, validate, and maintain systems.
- You will collaborate regularly with internal product teams to understand requirements and expand product knowledge.
- Develop automation of qualification test framework for new hardware systems.
- You will generate and review validation plans, lead execution and create test reports.
- Be able to work with other specialists to define, develop, and improve test scripts.
- Debug problems and drive corrective actions of problems found in Linux kernels, drivers, BIOS and BMC firmware.
- Investigate opportunities to drive improvements within Twitter’s infrastructure stack.
- Technical Degree (BS Computer Science) or equivalent.
- 5+ years professional experience in software and system engineering.
- Experience in delivering large-scale system software development products. Deep understanding of OS concepts and internals with Linux, UNIX, and Centos/Redhat.
- An understanding of HW architectures of x86 servers & sub-systems.
- Working knowledge of BIOS, BMCs, UEFI and PXE boot
- Experience in scripting, specifically Python and bash
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants:
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.
We're the People Team @Twitter. We're hiring service, purpose-driven people who are creative and move fast. All things Twitter Careers! #LoveWhereYouWork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!