Engineering Manager, Twitter University & TechDocs, Engineering Effectiveness
Who We Are
We help engineers at Twitter get up to speed faster and stay in the zone longer by having on-demand access to the right technical information.
We foster the culture of peer-learning and knowledge sharing through technical classes, mentorship, and documentation. We help amplify technical alignment and we drive consistency, appropriate re-use, human flexibility, and professional growth.
We scale our efforts through an army of volunteers (>10% of our engineers), coaching, and our in-house developed software platforms for event management, documentation, and discovery.
Who You Are
You are a leader, a coach, a driving force behind your team’s success.
You are a builder, not just of your own team, but of the company at large. You know how to identify, recruit, retain, and grow talent.
You are technically competent, with a passion to iterate, fail, and learn. You are resilient.
You are a great facilitator, you are socially adept, and you know how to build trust with your stakeholders.
You are customer-focused, and you measure your own success by how well your team is delivering against the objectives set forth by your customers.
You have a passion for technical education & documentation and you take pride in serving other engineers.
What You’ll Do
You’ll manage two sister teams: Twitter University and TechDocs.
In this role you will:
- Set clear expectations of goals and performance
- Proactively support career growth and development needs
- Provide clear and actionable feedback to your directs and stakeholders
- Balance autonomy with guidance (neither micro-manage, nor be absent)
- Foster effective team dynamics to build a high performing team
- Ensure decisions are being made
- Recognize contributions (ideas/efforts/outcomes at work)
- Raise the bar on what’s possible while providing a healthy work-life balance
- Create a safe work environment for expressing ideas comfortably
- Ensure that the team is focused on delivering sustainable customer value while constantly learning and improving
A successful engineering manager will communicate fearlessly to build trust. We need leaders who take active roles in shaping the future of Twitter engineering while embodying our core values. This means you will:
- Partner with your PMs and technical leads to initiate cross-functional collaborations with development teams throughout Twitter and gather feedback and requirements.
- Seek diverse perspectives to drive bottom-up innovation and create buy-in from all technical stakeholders inside and outside the team.
- Ensure the team fully understands the goals and objectives of Twitter as a company and how their work fits into 'the bigger picture.'
Desired Qualifications and Skills
- You have B.Sc or higher degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
- You have a background in building tools, instructional design/delivery, and technical writing.
- You have previously led a team of 5+ technically-focused individual contributors either as a manager or a technical lead.
- You have passion for elegance and simplicity.
- You take pride in designing solutions that will outlive the problem.
- You can provide a link to your public GitHub repo or technology blog.
- You use and love Twitter.
- You are awesome, passionate, and great to work with.
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.
We're the People Team @Twitter. We're hiring service, purpose-driven people who are creative and move fast. All things Twitter Careers! #LoveWhereYouWork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!