Deputy Lead, Breaking News
We’re looking for a strong manager to help launch a new breaking news project within the Twitter Curation team. Come join us!
Twitter Curation is a global team that provides essential insight in thirteen languages into the content published on our platforms. We enable people around the world to better enjoy our services by highlighting the best of Twitter, increasing understanding and trust by identifying key stories and conversations worth following, putting them in context, and removing barriers to participation. Twitter is where news is most often first reported, and a single Tweet often drives the news agendas of the world’s largest media companies. The breaking news team will be part of an experimental initiative to detect, verify and explain the most talked about stories breaking on Twitter in real time - a first of its kind for the company. We’re looking for an experienced, innovative and detail-oriented manager and leader, expert in social media and passionate about journalism, to help build and develop the team and its processes.
What you’ll do
As a key member of the Twitter Curation team, you will be based in London, U.K., and report to the Director of Live Video Curation. In this role, you will be the directly responsible individual for all breaking news decisions during your shift. Day-to-day you will lead a group of multilingual curators based around the world tasked with executing the breaking news strategy. In addition to managing day-to-day operations, you will help define the best techniques for quickly and accurately identifying important events as they happen on Twitter, and coordinate with the global Twitter Curation team to quickly and accurately curate the news for relevant markets and languages. You will shape the breaking news curation vision, develop strategic goals, manage resources efficiently, implement process improvements, monitor success, and effectively influence stakeholders in a fast-paced and constantly changing environment.
You will also:
- Lead daily curation operations for the breaking news team
- Drive global strategies related to our curation goals of delivering accurate, timely and relevant information to Twitter customers
- Engage and retain a high-performing team that has the ability to do their best work every day, is provided meaningful feedback and development opportunities and can collaborate and manage through conflict effectively
- Track metrics of success and hold self and team to the highest quality standard
- Serve as an escalation point for high-profile incidents, and work creatively with your team and other stakeholders to resolve them
- Collate and provide product feedback to product development teams
- Collaborate with Curation leads across all regions and languages to ensure consistency, alignment, and support as a global function
- Help to develop and improve upon Curation workflows
- Improve cross-language and cross-team collaboration
Who you are
The ideal candidate will have proven experience and domain expertise in real time, online news-gathering, a track record of managing distributed editorial teams, and a vision for driving Twitter’s success through breaking news curation.
If this role sounds like a great match, you probably have:
- A strong sense of urgency and an unbreakable commitment to accuracy first
- Proven experience with online publishing and content curation, with a high degree of discipline along with a passion for continuous improvement
- Strong leadership and management skills, experience in coaching others and enabling career growth
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to influence decision-making across teams and levels
- Ability to lead and execute complex projects and process improvement initiatives requiring cross-functional collaboration
- Strong analytical skills; you are metrics driven and make decisions based on data
- Comfort navigating ambiguity, and ability to stay calm and make decisions under pressure
- Ability to support change management in a fast-changing organization
- Active Twitter/Periscope accounts and a strong interest in social media
- BA/BS degree or local equivalent required
- Journalism qualification or equivalent experience
- 5+ years experience in real time publishing in a breaking news team, content curation, or similar
- 3+ years experience managing distributed online news reporting/news curation teams
- Extensive experience in using Twitter as a tool in reporting
- Experience with news gathering tools like Tweetdeck, Dataminr for News, etc.
- Working hours may vary depending on business need, including on-call shifts/coverage
- Multi-lingual preferred but not necessary
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
After you apply, a recruiter may reach out to you for an introductory call.
If your background is a match for the role, you may phone interview with 1-2 people.
If you continue through the process, you will come onsite 1-2 times to interview with a total of 5-10 people.
We're the People Team @Twitter. We're hiring service, purpose-driven people who are creative and move fast. All things Twitter Careers! #LoveWhereYouWork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!