Data Scientist - Applied Research - Cortex
Who We Are:
Our mission at Twitter Cortex is to empower internal teams by providing a machine learning platform and modeling expertise and by unifying, educating, and advancing the state of the art in ML technologies within Twitter. Within Cortex, the Boston Product Modeling team works on applying ML modeling approaches that can have dramatic impact on core areas of the product. As an example, we have recently been involved in ML approaches to ensure healthy conversations on Twitter.
We use machine learning, statistical modeling, data mining, time series modeling, and many other analytical techniques, we build prototypes, and we perform experiments — all applied at the scale of Twitter.
What You’ll Do:
You will be a key member of the Cortex Boston Product Modeling team, which consists of experts in ML, data science, and software engineering. You will be working closely with our partners in engineering, product, design, and user research to directly influence the exciting new product areas that Twitter is building. You will:
- Conduct analyses to learn from our vast amount of data, including exploratory data analysis, investigating A/B test results, observational and network data analysis, etc.
- Analyze user behavior at scale, ranging from individual-level attributes to user populations.
- Apply advanced statistical and machine learning techniques to model user behavior, identify causal impact and attribution, and build and benchmark metrics.
- Use tools for interacting with large datasets such as Hadoop, Spark, and Presto.
- Use Python or R (or similar) to conduct complex data analyses.
- Use data visualization tools (e.g. Tableau or Zeppelin).
- Communicate findings to executives and cross-functional product teams.
Who You Are:
- You communicate your findings clearly and empathetically to a wide audience of relevant partners, and are capable of building meaningful presentations and analyses that tell a “story”.
- You’re capable of collaborating with our business, engineering, and product colleagues to discover new opportunities that benefit Twitter.
- You’re a pragmatic problem solver with a strong quantitative background and passion for deriving insights from data.
- You’re a self-starter who takes initiative and is capable of learning on the job.
- You have experience owning complex projects from start to finish.
- You’re excited to learn and apply new data analysis techniques and tools.
- Completed PhD in quantitative analysis or have 2+ years professional commensurate work experience (not including internships)
- Strong hands-on proficiency with at least one programming language such as Python, R, Java, Scala.
- Experience using large scale quantitative customer data analysis to solve problems and answer questions
- Experience with data visualization
- Experience with social network data a plus
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer.
We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
After you apply, a recruiter may reach out to you for an introductory call.
If your background is a match for the role, you may phone interview with 1-2 people.
If you continue through the process, you will come onsite 1-2 times to interview with a total of 5-10 people.
We're the People Team @Twitter. We're hiring service, purpose-driven people who are creative and move fast. #LoveWhereYouWork #JoinTheFlock
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!