Engineering Manager - Machine Learning Data & Observability - Cortex
Who We Are:
Machine learning is advancing products at Twitter (e.g., Timeline ranking, On-boarding) and Cortex is advancing Machine learning at Twitter. Cortex is the central ML/AI team with the goal to build an ML platform and provide deep ML expertise to support our internal customers, while advancing ML inside & outside Twitter.
In particular, the ML Data & Observability team (MLDO) in Cortex is focused on providing solutions for monitoring the models deployed at Twitter as well as the data used to produce them. From timeline ranking to ads ranking to new user on-boarding, ML models are prevalent at Twitter. With that comes a huge responsibility in ensuring that the models work as they are supposed to, and when not we are able to proactively catch and fix the undesired behavior.
MLDO team has a mix of ML & Data engineers who work together to explore & build new solutions and scale them to augment Twitter’s ML capability. Finding the right balance between innovation and impact is key to making this team successful. This is an exciting and creative area, with a unique opportunity to push the boundaries of machine learning further.
What You’ll Do:
You will lead diverse, talented and driven ML/Data engineers and align their career ambitions with business requirements and opportunities. You’ll be a part of the org & company which puts a strong emphasis on collaboration and fostering healthy partnerships with partners. As a manager for MLDO you will:
- Establish the vision and mission for the MLDO team. Be responsible for the team’s technical strategy and roadmap.
- Be an engineering talent magnet to make the team successful in your established mission.
- Mentor the professional development of each direct report through personal and performance management.
- Give engineers the tools, confidence, and motivation to make decisions independently that lead to the recognition of your engineers and the team.
- Communicate expectations, feedback and context to team members, partners and stakeholders early and often, succinctly and with empathy.
- Build strong relationships with the customer teams and actively understand & partner with them. Enroll customers into co-developing and adopting platform solutions.
Project examples: Model & feature monitoring, Apache Beam and Spark, Data processing solutions.
Who You are:
- You have experience leading a team of engineers with responsibility for machine learning & data processing & software development in production.
- You have a passion for taking customer-driven approach to building software. You take pride in owing & maintaining what you have built.
- You are skilled at coaching and guiding your directs through their career development. You believe in building both teams and products that scale.
- You are adept at communicating relevant information clearly and concisely.
- You’re capable of collaborating with our business, product, engineering, design and research colleagues to discover new opportunities that benefit Twitter.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.
We're the People Team @Twitter. We're hiring service, purpose-driven people who are creative and move fast. All things Twitter Careers! #LoveWhereYouWork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!