Engineering Manager - Engineering Effectiveness
Who We Are
We are Twitter’s Engineering Effectiveness organization, and we help Twitter engineers develop world class software by implementing build systems for complex, polyglot source code, and developing source control systems and continuous integration infrastructure. Our teams develop the OSS build tool Pants, enhance and customize Git to support Twitter’s mono-repo, and any additional services that allow 1600 software engineers to iterate through the edit-build-test cycle and help ship quality software fast. If you have empathy for developers, passion for engineering productivity and enjoy leading a team of world-class engineers - you will find this role liberating, challenging and most of all fun.
Who You Are
We believe passion and personality matter. As such, we need someone who can manage diverse, smart, and driven engineers while balancing personnel challenges with business requirements. A successful engineering manager will:
- Mentor the professional development of each direct report through personal and performance management.
- Be an aggressive source of engineering talent and be comfortable closing candidates.
- Give engineers the tools, confidence, and motivation to make decisions independently that lead to the recognition of the engineers.
- Strive for technical excellence and longevity of solutions.
- Guide and mentor the team members in their professional and personal development
- Communicate expectations, feedback and context to team members, partners and stakeholders early and often.
Our ultimate goal is to ‘ship it’, so it’s imperative that the engineering manager:
- Is responsible for the team’s technical strategy and roadmap – creating success metrics in close collaboration with other Engineering and Product Managers.
- Brings a strong perspective that drives change and motivates engineers to develop simple solutions to complex problems.
- Works with tech leads and senior engineers to gather system requirements, gut checks new feature proposals and large system improvements.
- Has the technical capability to partner with tech leads and is comfortable diving into the fray to help drive resolution in the case of bad incidents.
- Experience managing a distributed team in multiple US cities and times zones is preferred.
A successful engineering manager will communicate fearlessly to build trust. We need leaders who take active roles in shaping the future of Twitter engineering while embodying our core values. This means the manager will:
- Initiate cross-functional collaborations with development teams throughout Twitter and gather feedback and requirements.
- Seek diverse perspectives to drive bottom-up innovation and create buy-in from all technical stakeholders inside and outside the team.
- Ensure the team fully understands the goals and objectives of Twitter as a company and how their work fits into 'the bigger picture.'
- BS or higher in Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
- 4+ years of software engineering experience
- 2+ years of experience of managing software teams
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.
We're the People Team @Twitter. We're hiring service, purpose-driven people who are creative and move fast. All things Twitter Careers! #LoveWhereYouWork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!