Engineering Manager, Data Infrastructure
Who We Are:
The Data Infrastructure organization provides Twitter’s internal data platform. The technologies we work on include Hadoop, Scribe, Flume, Scalding, Cascading, Summingbird, Parquet, Spark, Presto, Hive, Heron, Zeppelin, and many others. Several of these technologies were originally developed at Twitter and we actively contribute to open source for many others. We operate at substantial scale, with multiple Hadoop clusters of 10k+ nodes each, hundreds of Petabytes of data, trillions of log messages arriving daily, and tens of thousands of jobs executed each day. We are focused on providing world-class tools to our internal customers. We are investing heavily in the privacy and security of our platform. And we are in the process of embracing a hybrid cloud model, with our cold and ad hoc environments migrating to Google Cloud Platform. These recent investments have driven significant growth in our organization and we are looking for additional managers to help us execute on these long-term bets.
Who You Are:
Ideal candidates will have previous experience managing high-performing teams working at scale. They will also have a passion for open source software. They will enjoy tackling novel, ambiguous problems, collaborating with diverse stakeholders, and will bring a strong learning orientation.
What You’ll Do:
As engineering manager, you will lead the careers of extraordinary software developers. You’ll work with internal customers across engineering at Twitter.
- Manage software engineering teams within Twitter’s Data Infrastructure organization
- Develop and deliver high-impact, forward-looking roadmaps for your teams
- Communicate fearlessly and build trust with diverse stakeholders
- Contribute to a culture of technical and operational excellence
- Help solve cross-team problems at scale
- Delight internal customers
Experience and Skills
- 5+ years of experience managing software engineering teams
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in computer science, engineering, or other technical discipline (MS/PhD is a plus)
- Comfortable managing multiple technically complex projects in parallel
- Robust project management skills, including work estimation, prioritization, planning, tracking, and retrospectives
- Excellent people manager with a record of recruiting, managing, and retaining talent
- Empathetic, self-aware, and learning-oriented leadership style
- High-judgement, data-driven decision-maker
- Strong communication skills
Preferred Qualifications & Ideal Candidates
- Previous management experience in a high-performing, large-scale technology company
- Experience managing teams that work primarily in open source
- Relevant technical domain experience or experience with Google Cloud Platform
- Passion for privacy and security
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.
We're the People Team @Twitter. We're hiring service, purpose-driven people who are creative and move fast. All things Twitter Careers! #LoveWhereYouWork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!