Business Intelligence Analyst, Twitter Transparency Report
Are you passionate about transparency and accountability in social media? Do you thrive on designing and improving reporting solutions that tell compelling and important stories? Have you completed complex, multi-disciplinary projects in these or similar areas: reporting, analytics, or business intelligence, balanced scorecards, metrics-based strategy, or data quality? If so, you should join us!
Who We Are
The teams in Twitter’s Trust & Safety (T&S) department are on the front lines of safety, speech, and policy issues that affect the Internet. We work to ensure user trust, protect user rights, and mitigate legal risk through policy definition, Terms of Service enforcement, and safety advocacy. We innovate, experiment, and move at a fast pace. We’re a learning organization with a growth mindset, and we’re always looking for ways to improve our policies and ourselves.
What You'll Do
As a business intelligence analyst working on Twitter’s Transparency Report (TTR), you will utilize your technical and analytical skills to work with teams across the company to expand the breadth and depth of our biannual, public-facing report.
- Consult decision-makers, capture requirements, and propose action plans to obtain the desired metrics and results.
- Improve the data extraction pipeline through data mapping, validation, reconciliation, cleansing, standardization, and integration. Identify, propose, and implement data pipeline changes to streamline and automate data production and expand the effectiveness and scope of exception reporting.
- Extend the TTR’s metadata, such as source-to-target field mappings, known data limitations, and the rationale and definition of each metric.
- Actively track data quality issues, propose mitigations, and document data proxies.
- Audit data sources, understand data dependencies, identify data gaps, and propose system changes to extend the scope, structure, and quality of existing data warehouses and operational systems.
- Review and advise on data requirements for future updates to T&S systems and tools.
- Recommend changes to policy and enforcement workflows to strengthen the data pipeline.
- Create and enforce safeguards that limit and track internal access to TTR data.
You will report to Trust and Safety’s Head of Trust Strategy & Analytics (TSA) in San Francisco and work closely with the TTR Program Manager. This is a full-time position.
Who You Are
You recognize that Twitter’s commitment to Transparency is essential to the company’s future and want to do your part to meet this commitment.
- You are a strategic thinker and valued collaborator; you can execute on a vision while working with other teams.
- You enjoy finding elegant solutions to tricky technical problems. You keep up with the latest techniques and approaches in your field of specialization.
- You are flexible, self-motivated, and hard-working. You actively recognize needs, resolve problems, anticipate issues, and develop solutions.
- You facilitate conversations spanning multiple teams with ease; you excel at juggling the (at times) competing priorities of multiple teams operating in different countries.
- You thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly-changing environment.
- You’re a great teammate. You build and cultivate healthy partnerships and keep people informed and engaged. You customize your communication style based on your audience, and easily switch between verbal and written communication as needed.
- You are open to international travel.
Note: Applicants with experience beyond these basic qualifications may be considered for this role at the Senior Business Intelligence Analyst level.
- 4+ years experience in any of these disciplines: data analysis/reporting, analytics, data science, data visualization and dashboard creation, preferably at an internet or technology company.
- 3+ years in statistics, mathematics, engineering or data analytics (quantitative field)
- 2+ years experience handling large scale, unclean, semi-structured or unstructured data
- Extensive SQL experience for data extraction, manipulation and analyses; including stored procedures, complex joins, creation of views, and database scripting
- Proficiency in manipulating data sets using software such as R or Python is desired but not required
Note: Potential exposure to sensitive or graphic content, including but not limited to vulgar language, violent threats, pornography, and other graphic images.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
After you apply, a recruiter may reach out to you for an introductory call.
If your background is a match for the role, you may phone interview with 1-2 people.
If you continue through the process, you will come onsite 1-2 times to interview with a total of 5-10 people.
We're the People Team @Twitter. We're hiring service, purpose-driven people who are creative and move fast. All things Twitter Careers! #LoveWhereYouWork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!