Sr. Data Scientist - Platform Manipulation
Who We Are: Twitter users generate many terabytes of data every single day; Twitter engineers run hundreds of experiments; Twitter data scientists craft increasingly sophisticated models of users and content. The Analytics team’s mission is to empower product and business through impactful and creative applications of experimentation, machine learning, and data analysis.
What You’ll Do: You will be a key member of the Investigations Data Science group within the Analytics team working closely with our partners in Trust & Safety, Public Policy, Legal, and Product to detect and mitigate platform manipulation and other malicious activity.. Your work will directly influence the exciting new product areas that Twitter is building.
As such, you will:
- Conduct analyses to learn from our vast amount of data
- Apply statistical techniques to model suspicious user behavior, identify mechanisms for on-platform manipulation, and size mitigation opportunities.
- Write complex data flows using SQL, Spark, Scalding, R and Python scripts.
- Communicate findings to executives and cross-functional product teams.
Who You Are:
- Capable of operation at senior level or above as a Data Scientist or ML Engineer.
- You have 3 plus years of industry or graduate level research experience working on political motivated manipulation, or relevant security issues.
- You are a self-starter who is capable of learning on the job, takes initiative, and can thrive within a large team. You can pivot from blockers and develop a new approach when there are no precedents.
- You form sound hypotheses for largely unknown problems (through a combination of product domain knowledge and logical reasoning) and quickly iterate on data exploration.
- You are passionate about protecting open conversations on Twitter. You are a strategic thinker and are able to synthesize methodology and data into actionable product and/or public policy strategy from your analyses.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.
We're the People Team @Twitter. We're hiring service, purpose-driven people who are creative and move fast. All things Twitter Careers! #LoveWhereYouWork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!