Senior Manager, Software Engineering - Cortex
Who We Are:
Machine learning is advancing products at Twitter (e.g., Timeline ranking, On-boarding) and Cortex is advancing Machine learning at Twitter. Specifically, Cortex is the central ML/AI org and our goal is to build an ML platform as well as to provide deep ML expertise to support our internal customers, while advancing ML inside & outside Twitter.
We envision the ML platform to include a suite of products spanning the full life cycle of model development starting from data discovery to data processing to feature extraction to model training and deployment. We envision notebook solutions for quick iteration and workflow solutions for easy automation. In terms of providing deep ML expertise, we envision strong capabilities to understand rich content being shared on our product everyday (such as tweets, follow graph, images/video). We want to build a deep understanding of users and their interests, and connect them with most relevant content through strong personalization solutions.
Cortex has a unique mix of ML engineers & scientists who work together to explore & build new prototypes and scale them to augment Twitter’s ML capability. Finding the right balance between innovation and impact is key to making this org successful. This is an exciting and creative area, with a unique opportunity to push the boundaries of machine learning further.
What You’ll Do:
You will lead diverse, smart and driven ML Managers, Engineers & Scientists and align their career ambitions with business requirements and opportunities. We're looking for a senior leader who can collaborate with our partners in different product teams.
- Establish the vision and mission for your pillar (i.e., a set of teams). Be responsible for the pillar’s technical strategy and roadmap.
- Look ahead to identify opportunities and mitigate risks. Be a strategic leader in the Cortex organization.
- Be an engineering and research talent magnet to make the pillar successful in your established mission.
- Mentor the professional development of each direct report, managers and senior ICs, through personal and performance management.
- Communicate expectations, feedback and context to team members, partners and stakeholders early and often, succinctly and with empathy.
- Build strong relationships with the customer teams and actively understand & partner with them. Enroll customers into co-developing and adopting Cortex solutions.
- Project examples: Feature Store, Workflows, TensorFlow training, Media understanding.
Who You are:
You have experience with leading multiple teams with responsibility for machine learning & software development in production.
- Have at least 5+ years of experience managing software engineering teams.
- You have strong software engineering background, and have knowledge of and experience in one or more areas: Data platform, ML platform, Modeling techniques (such as deep learning, recommendation systems).
- You have a passion for taking customer-driven approach to building high-quality software. You take pride in owing & maintaining what you have built.
- You are skilled at coaching and guiding your directs through their career development. You’re a strong people manager and have experience growing managers to the next level.
- You believe in building both teams and products that scale. You care about setting up healthy distributed teams and collaborative environments.
- You are adept at communicating relevant information clearly and concisely.
- You’re capable of collaborating with our business, product, engineering, design and research colleagues to discover new opportunities that benefit Twitter.
- You’re willing to contribute to the overall Cortex direction and act as a key stakeholder at the senior level.
- MS or PhD in Computer Science with a focus on machine learning, mathematics or related quantitative field or commensurate work experience. Strong background in software engineering,
- Ability to work collaboratively across a large engineering organization, both in terms of scale & in terms of mission complexity. Care about setting up healthy distributed teams & collaborative environments.
Research publications, Technical blog posts or publications, Open source contributor
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
After you apply, a recruiter may reach out to you for an introductory call.
If your background is a match for the role, you may phone interview with 1-2 people.
If you continue through the process, you will come onsite 1-2 times to interview with a total of 5-10 people.
We're the People Team @Twitter. We're hiring service, purpose-driven people who are creative and move fast. #LoveWhereYouWork #JoinTheFlock
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!