Legal Counsel - Law Enforcement and Safety
Who We Are:
Twitter Legal is adding a lawyer to our Global Law Enforcement and Safety team. Our legal team is on the front lines of safety, speech, and surveillance issues that affect the internet. Twitter’s real time environment and international growth present unique challenges in these areas and we are looking for a strategic, knowledgeable, and enthusiastic lawyer to join our team in San Francisco.
We provide legal advice to team involved in safety and law enforcement issues around the company - from Trust & Safety to Product and Engineering. We provide input and guidance around efforts to combat online abuse and to enforce Twitter’s Rules and Terms of Service. We advise the company on policies and procedures for responding to requests for user data and to remove content, related transparency efforts such as our bi-annual Twitter Transparency Report and user notice, and legal strategies for responding to specific requests. We develop proactive legal efforts to advance company values such as our lawsuit against the U.S. DOJ seeking more transparency in how we can speak about national security requests and other cases for the protection of pseudonymous speakers engaged in free expression.
What You’ll Do:
As Legal Counsel, you will play a key role in identifying legal risks associated with requests for user data, requests for content removal, efforts to curb online abuse and enforce the Twitter Rules, and our ability to comply with legal demands and legal requirements from around the world. You will work collaboratively with your legal colleagues, Trust & Safety, communications, public policy, product and other teams across the company to share guidance and find creative solutions. Every day will be different than the one before!
Who You Are:
- You are passionate and enthusiastic about protecting user privacy, freedom of expression, and online safety.
- You are a self-starter who works well with minimal supervision, but shows excellent judgment about when to look to managers and teammates for guidance.
- You work effectively in cross-functional, geographically diverse, multi-cultural teams and are open-minded, inclusive, and flexible.
- You are able to quickly assess emerging situations and develop practical options to respond which display legal knowledge, common sense, and sound judgment.
- You view relationships with your clients and other stakeholders as key to your success and build and maintain trusted relationships with those individuals and their teams. You are humble and patient.
- You communicate clearly orally and in writing to legal and non-legal audiences.
- You have excellent organizational skills and the ability to effectively prioritize multiple projects simultaneously.
- You have a J.D.
- You are admitted to the California Bar in good standing (or qualified for and willing to apply for/maintain Registered In-House Counsel status with California State Bar)
- You have at least 5+ years of relevant legal experience.
Desired skills/interests (not requirements):
- Human rights law
- Professional knowledge with Stored Communications Act, Federal Intelligence Surveillance Act, Electronic Communications Privacy Act
NOTE: Telecommuting is not an option; this role is full-time in San Francisco.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
After you apply, a recruiter may reach out to you for an introductory call.
If your background is a match for the role, you may phone interview with 1-2 people.
If you continue through the process, you will come onsite 1-2 times to interview with a total of 5-10 people.
We're the People Team at Twitter. We Tweet about who we're hiring, what we're doing, and why you should work at Twitter! #LoveWhereYouWork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!