Legal Counsel, Japan and Korea (Tokyo)
Have you ever wondered what it’s like to practice cutting-edge law for a dynamic global company? #Jointheflock! Come join Twitter’s Legal team in Tokyo as the lead counsel for one of our fastest growing businesses - Japan and Korea! You'll provide general counsel and advice to the local business leadership, as well as be responsible for and be the first point of contact for a wide range of legal, regulatory and compliance matters that arise in Japan/Korea. You’ll work on important matters between Twitter and its partners, customers, advertisers, vendors, and users. You will work closely with Legal team colleagues in San Francisco, Singapore, and around the world, as well as with local business leaders, advising on legal risks, business strategies and other issues related to Twitter’s business in Japan/Korea. We're looking for an experienced lawyer who is comfortable working in a fast-changing, fast-paced environment with broad responsibilities. You need to bring legal smarts, business sense, a strong work ethic and a good personality because you'll be dealing with challenging legal issues and helping to shape our business strategy. You must have the ability to operate independently and work proactively with various teams across the organization. Ideally you have worked in-house in the technology, digital media or Internet industry handling a broad range of legal matters in Japan/Korea. This role will report to the Associate General Counsel and Legal Director for APAC, who is based in Singapore.
- Advising on law enforcement, compliance and other issues
- Advising on intellectual property, privacy, content regulation, consumer protection, antitrust/competition laws, litigation, and advertising laws and regulations in Japan/Korea
- Advising on applicable changes to laws and regulations
- Negotiating and drafting sales, partner, supplier, contractor and other commercial agreements
- Advising on employment law matters for Twitter’s offices in Japan/Korea
- Advising on public policy issues in Japan/Korea
- Helping to define and enforce advertising, user safety, legal and other policies applicable to Japan/Korea
- Supporting various teams throughout the company, including Sales, Engineering, Product, Business, procurement
- Supporting Development, HR, Finance, Public Policy and Trust & Safety
- At least 7 years of relevant post-qualification experience as an attorney-at-law or advocate
- Current Legal Counsels and Senior Legal Counsels are encouraged to apply
- Relevant in-house or secondment experience with a digital media, advertising or technology company is a plus
- Significant experience with law enforcement inquiries, litigation, compliance, intellectual property, internet, privacy, content regulation, consumer protection, antitrust/competition law, litigation, advertising and contract law
- Successful track record of working collaboratively across the world with colleagues in different time zones
- Demonstrated sound business and legal judgment
- Entrepreneurial mindset: flexible, self-starting and hard-working
- Comfortable working in a company experiencing rapid growth with excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong written and oral communication skills; fluency in Japanese and English is a requirement.
- Law degree (LLM preferred) with strong academic record and qualified to practice law in Japan.
- Additional qualification to practice in other jurisdictions (eg., US, UK) is a plus.
We recommend the use of Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome when accessing our online application.
After you apply, a recruiter may reach out to you for an introductory call.
If your background is a match for the role, you may phone interview with 1-2 people.
If you continue through the process, you will come onsite 1-2 times to interview with a total of 5-10 people.