Trust & Safety Lead, Japan (Tokyo)
Are you passionate about keeping people safe from abuse, spam, and manipulation? Are you excited by challenging problems that require a multi-disciplinary approach and creative solutions? Does the idea of growing the collective health, openness, and civility of public conversation on Twitter interest you? If so, you should join us!
Who We Are
The teams in Twitter’s Trust & Safety department are on the front lines of safety, speech, and policy issues that affect the Internet. We work to ensure user trust, protect user rights, and mitigate legal risk through policy definition, Terms of Service enforcement, and safety advocacy. We innovate, experiment, and move at a fast pace. We’re a learning organization with a growth mindset, and we’re always looking for ways to improve our policies and ourselves.
What You’ll Do
We are seeking a Trust & Safety Lead for Japan who will serve as an in-country representative for our efforts around ensuring user trust and protecting user rights through policies and strategies that promote trust in Twitter. You’ll be responsible for identifying and implementing opportunities to continually improve our current T&S operations to deliver a world-class experience that can be executed globally where appropriate. You may also be required to speak on behalf of T&S to internal teams, law enforcement, safety partners, government agencies, and users.
You will also:
- Continuously evaluate and propose improvements for existing operations, frameworks, and processes.
- Partner with T&S global leadership and APAC leadership to collaborate on identifying and resolving in-market Trust & Safety issues.
- Work closely with the legal and public policy teams on engagement with external partners and organizations on online safety and law enforcement issues.
- Work with internal teams and global safety organizations to develop and enhance safety awareness and handle other safety-related issues in the region.
- Maintain open, thorough, and regular communication with T&S management globally and in-house counsel.
- Collaborate with our Product Trust team to influence new or existing product features, with the goal of ensuring user safety and providing built-in product safeguards.
- Communicate clear, objective, and patient explanations of process and policy to internal teams.
- Support launches and different initiatives being driven across platforms.
Who You Are
- You have multidisciplinary experience in public policy, foreign relations, safety, and/or law and have experience with taking an analytical approach to policy issues.
- You have a deep understanding of regional online safety and speech issues.
- You are comfortable working independently, with minimal guidance.
- You think critically and work well under pressure.
- You have an entrepreneurial mindset and are flexible, self-starting, self-motivated, and hard-working.
- You are a strategic thinker and valued collaborator; you can design and execute on a vision while working cross-functionally.
- You actively recognize needs, solve problems, anticipate issues, and develop solutions.
- You are comfortable working with multinational teams who may (at times) have competing priorities.
- You are open to international travel.
- You will report directly to the Director of Global Trust & Safety in San Francisco.
- 5+ years at a tech company / legal experience
- Degree in public policy, foreign relations, or law degree or equivalent education / experience
- Complete fluency in English and Japanese; additional language fluencies are an asset.
Note: this role involves potential exposure to sensitive or graphic content, including but not limited to vulgar language, violent threats, pornography, and other graphic images.
Here’s all the legal good stuff
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
We recommend the use of Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome when accessing our online application.
After you apply, a recruiter may reach out to you for an introductory call.
If your background is a match for the role, you may phone interview with 1-2 people.
If you continue through the process, you will come onsite 1-2 times to interview with a total of 5-10 people.
We're the People Team @Twitter. We're hiring service, purpose-driven people who are creative and move fast. All things Twitter Careers! #LoveWhereYouWork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!