Software Engineer (Backend) - Reach Planner
Who We Are:
Twitter’s Revenue Solutions team is Twitter’s revenue innovation center, creating products used by the world’s biggest brands. From the company that invented native advertising (ads that look and feel the same as organic content), it’s at our core to build products that feel natural and authentic to our platform. Getting full value out of our product portfolio requires fitting in with the long-established buying processes used by our customers.
The largest advertisers in many verticals spend 75-85% of their budgets on a reach and frequency basis (“I want to reach 10M people, showing them my ad twice a week”), and build out their activation plans months in advance.
Accurate, trustworthy forecasting is a prerequisite to be able to compete for these budgets, because advertisers need to get what they were promised.
Twitter’s Reach Planner forecasts audience size, reach and campaign scale at different spend levels for any proposed campaign, and allows the advertiser to reserve inventory and guarantee full delivery against their plans.
Come build the next generation of products that empower marketers to tell the most interesting, relevant stories in the world, and make a meaningful contribution to an iconic company.
Who You Are:
You are excited to join an incredibly talented and enthusiastic team, which loves to tackle new challenges. You like a dynamic & fun environment, believe in Twitter’s mission in the world, and want to be a core actor in pushing it forward.
If you are an analytical thinker who enjoys complex math problems and algorithm design we would like to talk with you. We look forward to working with people who share our passion for good engineering fundamentals and making decisions grounded in data. We sweat the details.
What You’ll Do:
You will take up the task of allowing Twitter’s largest advertisers to plan their campaigns with confidence. You’ll collaborate with data scientists, digging into massive datasets in order to discover insights that can improve the quality of our forecasts. You’ll develop the algorithms in our online forecasting service, turning those insights into working code. You’ll enhance our data pipelines, marshalling and optimizing the information we need to answer queries. And you’ll own a significant product surface at Twitter, caring about operational quality and the metrics that illustrate that we’re helping our customers be successful.
We’d like to talk to you if:
- 4+ years industry experience working with confidence on a massive scale, microservice-based tech stack that includes Java, Scala, Kafka, Hadoop/Scalding, Heron, and Aurora/Mesos.
- You have a track record of implementing simple, elegant solutions / great products across distributed systems.
- You’ve demonstrated an ability to excel in whatever you pursue (whether it's work, school, competitions, open source contributions, personal projects, etc.—you've always stood out and succeeded)
- You have experience with a diverse range of frameworks/technologies, whether through work or side projects, with special interest in batch or streaming data processing technologies
- You have a sound grasp on OOP concepts, data structures and algorithms.
- You have a disciplined approach to writing unit and integration tests.
- You have working knowledge of an OOP language (e.g. Java or Scala) and a scripting language (e.g. Python)
- You have knowledge of distributed computing architectures.
- You easily articulate complex concepts in writing and speech.
- You’re no stranger to microservices.
- You have operational knowledge of relational and non-relational databases (e.g. MySQL/Postgres and Cassandra/ElasticSearch).
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.
We're the People Team @Twitter. We're hiring service, purpose-driven people who are creative and move fast. All things Twitter Careers! #LoveWhereYouWork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!