Software Engineer (Backend) - Advertising Measurement, Seattle
Who We Are
Twitter’s profitable advertising business went from zero to two billion in revenue faster than any other company had. The Ads Measurement team’s job is to communicate the ROI of Twitter ads to our advertisers, across all different methods for advertising on our platform. It’s critically important to show that value in a way advertisers understand, trust, and can dig into for more detail. We develop lambda architecture measurement products responsible for tracking $2B+ of revenue. This requires processing billions of events per day, spanning dozens of heterogeneous data sources generated from Twitter and advertiser data. We process this data in real time, requiring low latencies and high reliability. We are a full-stack team with expertise in data analytics, distributed systems, and external interfaces. Our customers are advertisers, ad tech companies, our sales and research teams, and other Twitter engineering teams. Our culture emphasizes creative problem solving, fast iteration, and execution.
Some of our current projects:
- Developing Twitter’s lift studies: long-running cohort-based analyses that measure how Twitter ads create statistically significant lift in advertiser sales, customer sentiment, and user engagement.
- Building our next generation 3rd party measurement platform with all industry-leading verification partners, including Moat, DoubleClick, Nielsen, and more. These integrations are critical for confirming the ROI of Twitter Ads, thereby increasing advertiser confidence in Twitter.
- Defining and building newer 3rd party measurement products that help shape the digital ads industry. Currently digital ads industry is heavily tailored for desktop advertising. Twitter being mobile heavy platform gives Twitter a unique opportunity to explore and define how ads should be measured for mobile.
Our Engineering Environment
At Twitter, we believe that good system designs require collaboration so that the end result is simple yet sophisticated. We also promote openness by contributing to open source and sharing our data through Twitter’s API (learn more here - https://dev.twitter.com/ads/overview). Our team sizes are kept small to encourage big contributions from each team member and promote meaningful collaboration. Our technology stack is mainly based on Scala and Java on the backend, with data analytics systems built on Heron and Hadoop.
Who You Are
We have a wide range of opportunities for experienced software engineers. We’re looking for a key individual contributor who can drive engineering for a product or products that show reliable and trustworthy ad performance metrics to our advertisers.
- A data-driven software engineer ready to design and implement innovative new features that impact hundreds of millions of users across many platforms.
- Experienced in backend systems such as data processing (realtime and batch mode), storage platforms, and service-oriented architecture.
- Someone who wants to push the limits of product innovation using the latest advancements in technology and methods - working closely with product managers, designers, and other engineering teams
- Someone that works best in an environment with a sense of urgency and can rapidly iterate on features
- Bachelors or above degree, preferably in Computer Science
- Minimum 5+ years of industry experience at a large-scale Internet service preferred, bonus points for experience in ad technology
- Strong performance with software engineering fundamentals: algorithms, data structures, design, coding, unit testing
- Experience with data analytics and distributed systems
- Experience innovating in service-oriented architecture
- Expertise in at least one of these languages: Scala, Java, C#
Engineering Hiring Process
Once your application is received, a recruiter will reach out pending your qualifications are a match for the role.
If your background is a match, you may have 1-2 technical phone interviews or be given the chance to provide a work sample depending on the role.
If the phone interviews go well or your work sample is strong, the final step includes interviews with 5-6 people held onsite in our office.
We're the People Team at Twitter. We Tweet about who we're hiring, what we're doing, and why you should work at Twitter! #LoveWhereYouWork
We're your one stop shop for anything University related. That means campus outreach, student advice/tips, & of course, our University Recruiting efforts!